Fat 32 and NTFS

Border View 22:16 23 Nov 07

I have an Acer Aspires Series 1642 ZWLMI laptop running XP Home SP2. I am sure on those rare occasions when I have had to do a disk check it says its is Fat32

I am getting a 320Gb external hard drive for Xmas (think its WD). I also understand it will come formatted as Fat 32.

Can anyone please explain the difference between Fat 32 and NTFS.

I dont have a clue what the difference is.

rdave13 22:20 23 Nov 07
  SANTOS7 22:22 23 Nov 07

click here

good info here, NTFS is the way to go and you can convert any drive/partition from FAT32 to NTFS without any data loss......

Border View 22:23 23 Nov 07

Thanks for the rdave13.

Border View 22:25 23 Nov 07

Your posting was there when I got back - thanks SANTOS7

rossgolf 22:25 23 Nov 07

my understandin is ntfs is faster and more secure
from wat i can remember about havin to re format my hard drive a while ago

interzone55 22:40 23 Nov 07

NTFS is more efficient as cluster sizes are smaller, it is also more resilient, so quite so prone to corruption as FAT32.

You can also use much better forms of encryption with NTFS.

One small point though, whilst you can convert from FAT32 to NTFS without loss of data, it's much more difficult to do the reverse.

Also, using the command line CONVERT C: /FS:NTFS is not as good as wiping the drive and formatting it as NTFS. You will find that doing the job properly will give you a faster drive.

Border View 18:38 24 Nov 07

Would it make any difference if I stick with fat 32 bearing in mind that I have a stand alone computer. Although there is the possiblility that I will network with just one more.

SANTOS7 18:44 24 Nov 07

I personally would convert to NTFS its a far more efficient file system...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac