Fat 32 to NTFS

loopyloo 17:06 06 May 06

I have just purchased an Acer laptop and it is fat 32. Is it ok to stay like this or should I convert to Nfts. If so what do I have to do and will I lose all my files setting etc.And will the recovery disks I had to make be ok if its its in fat 32 once converted.

VoG II 17:13 06 May 06

NTFS is better click here

Jackcoms 17:14 06 May 06
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:31 06 May 06

"And will the recovery disks I had to make be ok if its its in fat 32 once converted."

Sometimes the recovery disks use DOS to start the recovery and cannot read FAT32.

check on the Acer web site to see if converting will be a problem for your model of laptop.

pj123 17:36 06 May 06

I think the first question is: What operating system is it?

If it is a new laptop with Win XP already installed, surely it should already be NTFS? shouldn't it?

De Marcus™ 17:45 06 May 06

For whatever reason acer partition their drives into two and both are fat32. The recovery disks you created (presumably using NTI cd&dvd maker/backup) will revert your laptop back to how it was when you first made them regardless of the file system as it is now or in the future. There also won't be any problems with them being read. The actual system recovery disks you should have been supplied with are ample for getting the system recovered and why the NTI prompts at first switch on to make a new set boggles the mind.

Actually acer don`t supply a recovery disk--only the option to burn one when you first boot up.

QuickHare 18:19 06 May 06

I have an Acer laptop I am using right now. Acer formatted the hard drive into one or more partitions, also aligning the partition so that it can be easily converted to NTFS. The laptops also come with WinXP pre-installed.

The reason Acer did not use NTFS is for two reasons: 1. Their methods of installing the laptops at the factory work faster and better with FAT32, as does their recovery disks (which may not detect NTFS partitions properly).

2. Depending on the size of the partitions, some drives are faster using FAT32. There are many debates as to which is better for which purposes, and I am not hoping to start the debate here. The upshot is FAT32 can be converted to NTFS (see the Convert command in Windows XP) but cannot be converted back to FAT32 again without a lot of hassle or expense. In order to provide the customer with choice, Acer left it as FAT32.

If you want to convert it to NTFS, it should be ok for many Acer laptops, and Convert in Windows XP can do this without losing a single byte of file. However, it is best to check if the laptop is worth the conversion. It should be safe, though.

QuickHare 18:21 06 May 06

I received a recovery disk for my laptop.

De Marcus™ 18:24 06 May 06

Bilko

me too

De Marcus™ 18:27 06 May 06

If as you mention the laptop has just been purchased then it's unlikely to have a 'small' hard drive where fat32 may be beneficial, I've converted my 80gb Acer to ntfs and on one occasion had to make use of the supplied recovery disk, it simply reverts it back to fat32 along with a fresh copy of xp whereby I went through the convert process again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…