Fat 32 and ntfs???

markcomp 23:48 12 Jun 05

I see in some computer reviews that some poeple reformat their new computers from fat32 to ntfs.
Why do they do this and what are the advantages. Can it cause any problems?
New pc coming soon, so it would be interesting to know.
Thanks

Zaphod Beeblebrox 00:02 13 Jun 05

NTFS is more stable than fat32, it recognises larger hardrives, better security are among the advantages disadvantages may not be able to get drivers for older hardware /peripherals if you need to work in a dos enviroment programs may not work though xp's compatibility feature will allow you to run most enviroments from win95 up

Number 7 00:14 13 Jun 05

I'll go with Zaphod Beeblebrox, NTFS is more robust than FAT32 and it offers more from a security point of view.

It can deal with files larger than 4Gb- something FAT32 can't do.

If you're into video editing, then NTFS is the way to go.

On the downside, NTFS can't be accessed from DOS.

Monument 07:53 13 Jun 05

NTFS can be accessed from DOS click here

Mr Mistoffelees 08:14 13 Jun 05

Which version of Windows are you using?

You can only change to NTFS if you are using Windows XP, if you have 95, 98, 98SE or ME you are stuck with FAT32.

markcomp 11:05 13 Jun 05

I am using XP, can I change an existing drive i.e one that already has files on it to NTFS. This seems like the better option?

De Marcus 11:06 13 Jun 05

Convert FAT to NTFS
Q: Is it possible to convert a FAT32 Hard Drive to NTFS without losing all data on the drive? I like to change from FAT32 to NTFS, my operating system is Windows XP PRO, how can I do that? Without the lost of my programs?
A: Standard Windows utility that is called CONVERT serves this purpose

Just go to the Command Prompt and execute the command:

C:\> CONVERT C: /fs:ntfs

Where C: is a name of the drive you want to convert.

After machine re-boot conversion process will start and you'll have your FAT32 converted to NTFS without of data loss.

De Marcus 11:07 13 Jun 05

that's a cut n paste from ntfs.com, the same applies to xp home.

markcomp 06:27 14 Jun 05

Thanks folks for all this, I am waiting for a disc caddy so I can use old hard drives as backups (see another PC string on using old pc's as backup). Thern having backed up my hard drive I wil convert my PC to NTFS - I am taking the cautious approach!!!
Many thanks for all the advice. The forum is extremly helpful.
Regards
Mark

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…