Fat 32 & NTFS ???

ste_bla 03:50 26 May 04

I did do a few searchs but couldnt find anything on this subject sorry if there has been dont meen to be a pain up the backside... Anyway...

Looking at WinXPHome it surgests NTFS which is fine however i have a network with to other computers using Win98SE & so Fat32. I have read some of the M$KB articles and they seem to point towards sperating my HDD (80g Sata BTW) into seperate volumes and formats. Is this right im asking because it surgests this when running more than one O/S which is not what i want to do?

Also just to confirm three things;
Volume is the same as partition
32gb is max volume size for Fat32
Whats max size for NTFS (or own surgestions)

temp003 06:29 26 May 04

The partition(s) on your XP computer can stay as NTFS, and your 98 computers can stay as FAT32. You're networking them and there is no problem in reading or transferring data between them.

You haven't shown us a link to the article, but from what you've said, I think it's talking about 2 operating systems on the same computer, in which case, each OS should be installed on its own partition. This is not your case.

Basically you only need to create partitions if that's what you want.

Volume - not sure about the terminology, but yes, you can treat it for practical purposes as a partition (in certain versions of Windows, you can create "volumes" which are not partitions - but you can ignore that).

Windows XP cannot format a partition larger than 32GB in FAT32. You need to use a 98 floppy to fdisk and format such a partition in FAT32. After that, XP can still read and write to the partition.

XP has no 32GB limit if you want to format the partition in NTFS.

The theoretical max sizes for FAT32 and NTFS partitions are much much larger than the disk sizes you normally come across. They're at least in Terabytes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos