FAT 32 files too small.

KWAKI 18:47 27 Jul 04

I recently bought a DVD RW drive to burn dvd files from my hard drive but when i try to put the data on my hard drive it only allows 4GB to be stored. Most dvd's hold more data than this ,so how can i get the data onto the hard drive?

It gives a message about FAT 32 files only allowing 4GB to be stored but mentions something about NTFS files. Would it help if i changed to this? If so is it hard to do?

Thanks for any ideas.

jonnytub 19:55 27 Jul 04
  jonnytub 19:56 27 Jul 04

xp and 2000 only

KWAKI 19:05 28 Jul 04

Ok ,i've tried this and i get a message saying 'enter current volume label for drive c:'

Any ideas what that means?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:25 28 Jul 04

volume label is whatever name was given to your 'c' drive when when ran My computer or explorer he drive may have had a name othre than 'c'

If it had a name type it into the box if not try leaving blank

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:28 28 Jul 04

When you convert from FAT to NTFS you are asked for the Volume Label to confirm the drive is the one you want to convert.
You need to enter the name of the drive/

Open Explorer and look at the drive you are trying to convert

Its should say DriveName( c:) - DriveName is the Volume Label

This is what you are being asked for...

KWAKI 23:37 28 Jul 04

I found the name 'VO1GB2 (C:)'but when i enter this i get a message saying that the wrong name has been given for that drive.
Any ideas?

Chegs ® 00:20 29 Jul 04

Right Click on the C: drive and select Rename from the drop down list.Name it anything you wish(bearing in mind the more complex the name,the harder to retype it during conversion)

Chegs ® 00:22 29 Jul 04

Also,you dont need to add the (C) bit,if you call it "fred" then typing "fred"(minus quotes)when asked will do. :-)

jonnytub 09:08 29 Jul 04

click here to help explain a little further click on my link, you will see a picture of "my computer", notice that i have two drives, one call Jonny and the other STORAGE, when your asked to type in the volume name, in my case,it would simply be Jonny or STORAGE, not the actual drive letters such as (c:) or (d:). These "bits" are left out. Hope this helps, regards jonny.

jonnytub 09:19 29 Jul 04

apologies for that link, here is the correct one click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…