Fat 16-Fat 32 compatibility?

Simsy 12:15 08 Sep 03

hi folks,

My sister is about to take delivey of a new PC. I've said I'll recover the files she wants from her old hard drive.

I'm intending to put her old HDD in my PC as a slave, then copy the wanted files onto CD, via my HDD.

Now the PC being replaced is very old.... she was given it as old and knackered by a friend about 6 years ago! It currently runs, (sort of!), Win 95. Now, not withstanding the possibility that the HDD is knackered and may give problems for that reason, I assume, (as it's Win 95), that the HDD is formatted as FAT16. Is this likely to give me any problem transferring the files to my PC, which is FAT32, or am I worrying about a "problem" that doesn't exist?

Thanks in anticipation,

Regards,

Simsy

Jester2K II 12:19 08 Sep 03

Nope. FAT16 drives can copy to FAT32 and visa versa.

Smiler 12:19 08 Sep 03

Don't forget to change the jumper on the back of the disk to slave. Don't think you will have a prob withreading FAT16 the problem is usually with trying to rean NTFS

Simsy 12:22 08 Sep 03

I suspected as much, but wanted to be sure before committing myself.

Regards,

Simsy

Simsy 12:24 08 Sep 03

Posted, solved and ticked in 7 minutes!

Thanks again,

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…