FastSearch

Murray1 14:32 23 Dec 03

IE6 normally opens with a blank page. Recently it's been hijacked by a search engine called FastSearch. I did a search, found it, and deleted it but it will not go away,even though IE6 Tool-Options shows blank as the default still. How to kill it please? PS I've never visited the FastSearch site. Win98 SE.

bremner 14:51 23 Dec 03

click here for removal instructions

Big Elf 14:51 23 Dec 03

Try SpyBot click here

And AdAware click here

muppetmark 17:17 23 Dec 03

You have a coolwebsearch infection, get Coolwebshredder from click here unzip it and run it ensuring you press next rather than just scan.

you may find you have other dreck there too.

Go to click here , and download 'Hijack This!'.
Unzip, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
Press that, save the log somewhere, and please show us its contents.

Most of what it lists will be harmless or even required, so do NOT fix anything yet.

Someone here or click here orclick here will help analyze the results.

greywwolf 20:04 23 Dec 03

I had "fastsearch" on my computer.I downloaded
"Coolwebshredder" and it worked fine, cleaned
my system, and restored my original default
settings.
Greywolf

Murray1 13:48 24 Dec 03

Thanks for all the info, I've downloaded "Coolwebshredder" unzipped it but when I try to open it, I get "DLL file not found MSVBVM60.DLL" What does this mean please? (As you've surmised I'm a novice")

Jester2K 13:50 24 Dec 03

As mentioned on the site download and install click here

VoG II 13:51 24 Dec 03

You can download it click here

Big Elf 13:53 24 Dec 03

Have a look at click here and follow the links. The file is, I think, a MS Visual Basic Library file which is sometimes required to run other programs.

Big Elf 13:53 24 Dec 03

Damn. Too slow again.

Murray1 14:35 24 Dec 03

Thank you one and all! "Fast search" successfully removed ( and apparently some other intruders as well) Thanks again. Ken

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…