Fasthosts - any good?

Cams 16:22 04 Sep 03

I'm looking to switch hosts, and as usual have spent far too long researching to the point where I'm now reaching overload. My current host has had too much downtime over the last two years, and their prices have just gone up to silly prices (not yet published on their site).

My site is basic html pages with photos but I need a lot of storage as I'm a musician and upload a lot of mp3s. I'm looking for around 400MB which generally takes me into corporate territory with all the host packages I've looked at, and that means I'm paying for all sorts of fancy features that I don't need.

I've looked at the various hosts mentioned in previous threads to this BB, but haven't seen either Fasthost.co.uk or Supanames.co.uk mentioned. The former offers 500MB of storage for only £50 ex-VAT a year. Sounds too good to be true, and if the reviews at dooyoo.co.uk are anything to go by, it is too good to be true. I was just wondering whether anyone here had anything to say about them, either positive or negative.

Dooyoo.co.uk reviews: click here

Supanames.co.uk offers 400MB of storage for £90 ex-VAT and I had them recommended to me so maybe they'd be a better option.

I've also had InterScot recommended to me - unlimited storage for $9.99 per month:

click here

and also stumbled upon a few good reviews of LunarPages where I can get 500 MB for $7.95:

click here

Has anyone any experience of these?

And one more thing. Do any of you use a US-based host package (I mean for anyone NOT based in the US)? I'm wondering whether it would be a bad idea for such things as telephone support.

Thanks in advance,
Cams

Cams 16:55 04 Sep 03

I just heard back from Fasthosts that they wouldn't allow me to upload mp3s which is pretty much the raison d'être of my site. So that narrows things down a little.

It really is amazing how many companies there are out there offering web hosting. Is there really room for them all in the marketplace?

Cams

zoomer 17:30 04 Sep 03

I`ve got a site hosted with Supanames and they are ok, good support forums as well, considering hte price they seem good value.

Cams 17:35 04 Sep 03

Thanks for that zoomer. that may very well be whom I choose then as they have no restrictions on file types. I'm also a bit dubious about US-based hosts due to the telephone support issue.

Interesting to note that Supanames don't have telephone support as yet, but it seems they are planning to introduce it.

tbh72 01:08 05 Sep 03

Forgive me for jumping in on this thread but have you tried click here They are definately worth a look.

And as a second option have you considered setting up your own server to store your mp3's, this would mean you would only need a basic / cheap package with a hosting company.

click here This is an easy to config server.

click here & you can look here for IP & host names.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…