Fastest ADSL broadband ISP?

geordiewal 11:58 01 Feb 03

Hi all, I have been with BT openworld for nearly a year now and admittedly it is better than a normal dial up connection, but I am wondering if there are any faster ADSL ISP's out there. Unfortunately cable has not reached my area yet, so does anyone know of any faster ADSL ISP's ?

Geordiewal.

graham 13:20 01 Feb 03

If you get broadband over a BT line you are using BT ADSL, no matter who your ISP is. So don't think there will be any difference if you changed.

acfc 13:32 01 Feb 03

Yes it's the same system that is used (RADSL 512/256) however contention plays a part as well.

If you click here you will see ratings for a large number of providers.

If you want to change from BT you have to wait 12 months or pay penalties, however if your past the 12 months now is a good time as numerous providers have deals right now.

I'm with Pipex which for me has been excellent (and faster than BT according to the ADSL site)and it only £23.44 a month!

geordiewal 14:00 01 Feb 03

Cheers acfc that looks just like the site that I have been looking for, I will have been with openworld for 12 months come April, having a quick look on the link that you sent it looks like they are improving but I will continue to monitor to see if they deserve to keep getting my dosh for the following 12 months.

Andy 999 15:32 01 Feb 03

I have gone with Zen and they don't have a bad reputation either. I have never had any problems with it apart from when i first installed it.Also,their customer service is good.

It is slightly dearere than pipex though...

Robert-272781 16:01 01 Feb 03

There are 2 key elements that affect the speed of the broadband service:

1. the number of customers, such as yourself, who are connected to the big fat pipe which the ISP buys from BT

2. The location of the content that you are trying to receive.

On point 1, generally speaking the cheaper the cost, the more customers the ISP need to connect to their service to make a profit - hence once lots of customers become connected, the speed will deteriate.

On point 2, its always going to be a faster service if you choose the ISP that hosts your content.

If you are like me and are looking for a service that balances cost against speed, then BT Openworld is as good as anyone.

anchor 16:29 01 Feb 03

Check your speed here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…