Faster Internet Connection - Modems?

Digi Stylers 11:26 11 May 03

Does your modem make any difference on the speed of your 56k connection? I am currently with AOL and never get a faster download speed than 3kb/sec and i do alot of downloading. I currently cant get broadband in my area and dont want the hassle and lack of time available on 'Half-Band'. So could i get 5 or 6kb/sec if i got a new modem? And if so what do you think i should go for?

mark e 11:50 11 May 03

it depends on so many things, line quality, how far your pc is from the main phone box and how its set-up on your pc.

Digi Stylers 11:55 11 May 03

Does how far away you are from your isp matter aswell, would a 'local isp' be better?

jbaker65 11:59 11 May 03

Hi, 56kilobits/sec means the same as 7kilobytes/sec. This means your getting about half the maximum possible with your modem. This is likely to be due to the limitations of your GPO line. Another modem is not likely to improve it, so save your money. regards John.

DieSse 12:04 11 May 03

Yes modems can make a difference - but lines etc usually make a bigger difference.

If you have an older 33K modem, you should find upgrading to a 56K modem will improve matters.

You will never connect at more than 52-53K even under the most ideal circumstances, due to telecom limitations. This normally gives a download speed of around 5 - 5.5Kb/s.

What connection speed do you get reported?

Digi Stylers 12:19 11 May 03

Well, i'll check next time i log on. Also i live in the middle of noware really, would that also make a difference.

Digi Stylers 16:12 11 May 03

It connected at 28kbps just, even though my modem is 56k. Is that some what slow compared to the avarage?

flyboy 18:42 11 May 03

Hi, I learnt lots from this site, might be old hat but it worked well for my Win98SE.
Try click here
Let us know if successful.

Digi Stylers 19:01 11 May 03

Thanks, but im running windows XP, which i belive is not compatable

Digi Stylers 19:01 11 May 03

Thanks, but im running windows XP, which i belive is not compatable.

DieSse 19:41 11 May 03

Your 28K connection speed is very slow - I beleive there may be some reasons for this in the UK conncted with ceratin services on your ?phone line - but I'm not fully up to speed with Uk conditions - perhaps someone can help here.

Of it may be you are a long way from an exchange, and that's the best you can get.

Do you have a lot of other devices on the line - you may have too many, this can slow things down. try disconnecting any faxes, extension phones, skybox, and see if things improve.

And then, it may be a bad modem also. is yours external or internal - some external modems can cope better with poor lines - can you try one out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…