Fast writes enabled

DP 22:31 20 May 03

I have MSI 648max mobo. My SANDRA info software tells me that the the AGP is currently 4x but it is capable of 8x (but I don't have an 8x card). BUT it also says that "fast-writes" are not enabled - and that "fast-writes" are supported.

Anyone know how I enable fast-writes?
Anyone know what a fast write is?

I know it sounds stupid to want to enable something when I don't know what it is - but anything fast seems like a good idea in the graphics area!!

kane_2002k 22:55 20 May 03

go to control panel, dispay, settings, advanced and if you have an ATI radeon card, go to smartgear there is an option there to enable fast writes. I believe that the process with a nividia card is similar, but since never had one i'm not sure. If u look around in the advanced display settings you will find it.

You will also have to enable fast writes in your bios - should be under advanced chipset setting or something similar.

Word of warning fast writes can seriously destabilse a system and if you do have a ATI radeon card then i would leave it off. Perfomance gains with it on are minimal. Fast writes allows the CPU to send data to the Graphics card without having to go through RAM.

hugh-265156 22:58 20 May 03

for ATI its smartgart under display/settings/advanced

it will turn them off again even if you enable them here once you restart if it thinks stabillity is an issue.

leave them disabled you will not get a performance increase.

DP 23:06 20 May 03

Good advice - I'm goin to leave it off - the system goes well at present - bester not to push my luck

DP 23:06 20 May 03

Good advice - I'm goin to leave it off - the system goes well at present - bester not to push my luck

hugh-265156 23:13 20 May 03

try theese if you fancy something a bit different click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…