fast laptop running slow

AL47 21:55 10 Jul 07

i have what i would call a fast laptop, but it starts up slow,
there are alot of processes in task manager and loads of programs in my zonelabs program list
how and what programs/processes can you stop/remove and how do you do it?
i know you can stop them once the computer has booted but not how to stop it before booting up

or does anyone have any other suggestions as to why this might be?

i can stop the msconfig stuff but not the others

theres also about 15gb of space whic i cant account for.

any help would be appreciated.

running
dell xps m1710
2ghz core 2 duo
3.4gb ram
256 gtx 7900 graphics
7200 100gb sata

phono 22:17 10 Jul 07

I would suggest an antivirus and malware/spyware scan to start with, after that try the following.

Process explorer, available from click here can give a valuable insight as to what processes are running on your PC along with associated files DLLs and so on.

Startup Control Panel from click here is also useful for controlling what processes load at startup, if you like it and use it then a donation to the author would, I'm sure, be much appreciated, and no, I am not the author and have no connection to him either.

paul€ 22:23 10 Jul 07

" theres also about 15gb of space whic i cant account for. "

Look at the ammount used for system restore. It will be about 12Gb for a 100Gb drive. redusce it to 1Gb.

woodchip 22:25 10 Jul 07

Go to Start Run type msconfig press enter, go to startup tab all items that start at boot have a tick. there are lots that do not need to start when you boot thecomputer
click here

click here

click here

You need to look at the above

woodchip 22:28 10 Jul 07

System restore can be turned of on all Partitions other than the one with the OS on it. This can be reduced to 8% for safety. i would not recomend any lower settings. For the above go to System Restore and click on settings, you need to click each partition to set for that partition NOT the box to turn off for all

paul€ 22:30 10 Jul 07

If you are using Vista then reduce the size of system restore via cmd prompt. click here

AL47 22:33 10 Jul 07

paul€

thanks, that got the space down, didnt know it was anywhere near that hi

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…