fast ethernet card+ router+LAN =confused

ZEROTOLERANCE 16:15 29 Apr 04

i have a dell laptop running win2000 and a tower with win XP, i wanted to connect them both to the internet, so i bought a pcmia fast ethernet pc card but ive installed the drivers plugged it all in it says its working properly in device manager, but none of the little lights are on, and the little twin telly icon (LAN) says cable is unplugged, but its plugged into the only port it will fit into on my tower RJ_45 connector, so why isnt it working? suggestions please.

woodchip 16:20 29 Apr 04

Have you set up an account with a ISP like AOL or freeserve etc

ZEROTOLERANCE 16:27 29 Apr 04

yes my tower is already running freeserve

ZEROTOLERANCE 17:00 29 Apr 04

do i need a seperate router?

TomJerry 17:10 29 Apr 04

What cable do you use? Did you go through network setup wizard on both machine to allow other machine to see it? In you run Zonealarm, disable it when you do set up.

ZEROTOLERANCE 17:15 29 Apr 04

think the cables called a RJ-45 cross over patch cable,I didnt know i had to set up tower also!

rickf 17:16 29 Apr 04

Your thread is a bit unclear. It seems that you have plugged the cable from the laptop into the back of the tower.It should go into the router. Sorry, if I have misread you.

ZEROTOLERANCE 17:23 29 Apr 04

this is what i dont understand, is the fast ethernet pcmia card the router or do i need a seperate router?

ZEROTOLERANCE 17:27 29 Apr 04

sorry i maybe should also have said that the laptop doesnt have its own modem built in.

ZEROTOLERANCE 18:33 29 Apr 04

after messing about trying to get these two to work together on this pc fast ethernet - router - card my tower started playing up so i restarted it but that just made it worse im now having to reinstal windows as even system restore wouldnt work, any ideas what i may have done to cause this??

ZEROTOLERANCE 18:52 29 Apr 04

im still no closer to understanding how to set this up, ANY advice would be appreciated, ive spent all this money and am no closer to my objective of getting to computers on line at once, than i was yesterday & i was 60 quid richer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…