Far too many "This page can't be displayed".

Furkin 12:47 22 Apr 14

Hi,

Another internet browser glitch.

Over the past couple of weeks, I’ve had a few problems with IE, - I admit my fault, as I didn’t know how to look after my own machine.

Around 70% of my searches now come up with: “This page can’t be displayed”.

I have Google.co.uk as my default browser and within Internet Options.

This has only been happening for a week or so.

I’ve done a full Avast & a full Malwarebytes scan etc.

Any ideas please ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Asus M5A78L-M LX : Phenom IIx2 : 4gb ram : PSU: OCZ 500w : nVidia GT440 : HDD: Samsung 1tb + W.D 1tb : IE.11 : Win 7 ult (32) + Avast : Malwarebytes

Furkin 07:07 23 Apr 14

Hi Jock1e,

Do you mean 'All' within Internet Explorer ?

If so, they are all ticked.

Secret-Squirrel 09:21 23 Apr 14

Where are you entering your searches? Via a special toolbar or from the Google webpage? If it's the latter then read on:

"I have Google.co.uk as my default browser and within Internet Options."

Do you perhaps mean that Google is your default homepage? It's still worth checking though so go to Internet Options -> "General" tab. Make sure only google.co.uk is shown in the "Homepage" box.

While you're there, click the "Connections" tab -> "LAN Settings" button and make sure that nothing in that window is ticked.

If that doesn't help, then as a test, use the "No-Add-ons" version of IE for a while and report back whether that's helped or not. You can get it via Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

Furkin 19:38 23 Apr 14

Thanks folks,

At the moment, if I do a usual search in Google (click on Internet logo), it brings up the list of sites matching the quest. When I click on these links, too many are now coming up 'page can't be displayed'.

While you're there, click the "Connections" tab -> "LAN Settings" button and make sure that nothing in that window is ticked.

The only box ticked was "Automatically detect settings" - so I've un-ticked it for a while. I'll see how that goes before the "No add-ons" route.

As you will all know, when we mere mortals download things, they bring in third party search bars - Ask / Bing / Crap etc etc, so if I do get a glitch, I always look at this first, then if required, alter it back to Google.co.uk.

Secret-Squirrel 10:09 24 Apr 14

"The only box ticked was "Automatically detect settings" - so I've un-ticked it for a while."

Unfortunately that won't make any difference to your Google search results.

Because 70% of your Google results fail, the "No Add-ons" test I suggested should take you all of two minutes to arrive at a conclusion.

mole1944 15:11 24 Apr 14

Do as i did and go to chrome unusual to get used to but one you use it i.e. will be a distant bad memory

Furkin 09:10 25 Apr 14

Cheers:

SS: I have now ticked the 'no add ons' so will monitor things for a while.

Apologies if I don't reply quickly - I hardly get any Notifications of messages, & am dashing between Doctors & Physio,,,, preparing for a couple of spinal operations next week.

Mole: I'd prefer to stick with IE 11 at the moment - as I only think it needs fixing.

I suppose i'll go to Chrome at some time though.

Furkin 09:59 29 Apr 14

Thanks SS: but after clicking 'no add ons', I still get the problem.

any more ideas please ?

Secret-Squirrel 12:40 29 Apr 14

Thanks for testing that Furkin - you can now go back to your regular version of IE.

Because you got the same problem then the No Add-ons test tells us that we can't blame any third-party extras such as toolbars or other extras that can interfere with the way IE works.

If you are indeed on the real Google page (by seeing that google.co.uk is shown in bold in your Address Bar) then something seems to be intercepting your Google searches and returning results with dead links. It could be malware or a DNS problem. Would you like to do another test for the latter? If not then you may want to consider doing a System Restore and choosing a restore point that pre-dates the start of this problem. However, it's well over three weeks now so you may not have any restore points available or it may undo too many things if you've installed a lot of stuff recently. If you're not familiar with System Restore then have a read here. If it doesn't work or causes unexpected results then you can go back into System Restore and you'll get the option to undo it.

If on the other hand you'd like to do another quick test to try and pinpoint the exact cause of the problem and/or run a different free malware remover then let me know.

Furkin 07:58 07 May 14

Cheers SS:

Yep - I do get Google.co.uk. I've had to reset this a couple of times. I've done a couple of Restores - didn't help.

I've done several full Avast & Malwarebytes scans - didn't help.

I think I've run DNS before, but can't recall how, or why ! What does it entail, & what should it tell me ?

Thanks for your time.

Secret-Squirrel 08:49 07 May 14

Furkin, here's a quick test to check whether a rogue DNS server is causing your Google problems or not:

Click your Start button and immediately type cmd. The program name should appear at the top of the list in the Programs section so click on it. In the little black window, type ping www.google.co.uk then hit the Enter key on your keyboard. The first line of the output should look something like this:

Pinging www.google.co.uk [74.125.195.94] with 32 bytes of data:

What IP address (numbers in the square brackets) do you get?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…