Is the Far Cry demo buggy?

dagwoood 18:16 13 Oct 04

I downloaded the far cry demo and when I tried to play it my screen went white and it took repeated attempts to open up task manager to get back to my desktop.

There was a task bar button which said "Critical Violation" in it but couldn't find anything in event viewer to explain why this happens.

Is the demo known to be buggy?

I'm on xp SP2, Athlon XP 3200+, 2X512MB of RAM, Radeon 9600 256MB and have directx v9c installed.

Cheers, dagwoood.

Starfox 18:32 13 Oct 04

I tried the Far Cry demo and it worked o.k for me,your system specs are more than adequate so maybe you got a glitch during the download as often happens with some of these game demos as they are quite large downloads.

Starfox.

dagwoood 18:53 13 Oct 04

Starfox, thanks for that.

The thought had crossed my mind that an error had been made when I downloaded it(at nearly 500MB it took an hour an half !).

Cheers, dagwoood.

dagwoood 00:04 14 Oct 04

^

The Ghost of Inept Pig 07:07 14 Oct 04

My version of the demo worked fine too, and although it's a huge download - it may be worth trying again - I got mine from GamersHell (there's links to both the first & second demos click here)

Other than that - how up to date are you graphics card drivers? Ubisoft support (click here*&p_li=) recommends version 3.9, and also offers this advice:

Many driver and hardware issues will be resolved in the final product, however if you are having graphic problems playing the SP demo please add these 2 lines at the end of the file - systemcfg.lua (in the FC Demo folder):

d3d9_VBPools = "0"
e_fog = "0"

Worth a try?

dagwoood 15:44 14 Oct 04

Thanks for the input.

The version I'd originally downloaded was from GamersHell, but I've downloaded it again and chosen a different mirror to download from.

As to the drivers, I'm running on the latest catalyst drivers, v4.9(WITHOUT the catalyst control centre. Found this more trouble than it's worth).

I'll see how the new download goes, fingers crossed :0)

Cheers, dagwoood.

g0nvs 17:40 14 Oct 04

Going back a bit, I installed the demo and was very buggy. Bought the game and ran perfectly.

dagwoood 03:33 15 Oct 04

After I installed the new download, it still wouldn't load and froze.

I've tried different drivers(catalyst beta), that didn't work. I've uninstalled the agp to cpu driver and installed the hyperion drivers, that didn't work. I've even tested my memory and that checked out o.k.

Think I'll start a new thread and see if anyone can shed any light on it.

Cheers, dagwoood.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…