FAO: System Builders> How do you install WinXP ?

Giggle n' Bits 14:39 12 Mar 03

Prefer awnsers from system builders, anyone who has built there own pc or a few pc's, expierinced people even PCA Tech Staff.

Question:-

WinXP Home O's can be installed either using the FAT 32 or NTFS file system. Microsoft say use NTFS for stability and HDD's over the 30GB size.

So to above system builders and the expirienced people out there:-

For a single PC with a single HDD and no partitions just 1 biggie for home use multimedia pc how would you install the Windows XP Home O's whether it being a OEM or Retial release with SP1.

Greatfull in advance for your advice and views.

Holographic_man 14:44 12 Mar 03

format in NTFS and install XP simple

xtreme_computing 14:45 12 Mar 03

set your first boot device to cd-rom in the bios,you can do this, by pressing del key at bootup .put the xp cd in the cd-rom drive and press any key when prompted to boot from xp cd.this will load the installation, and just follow the prompts.

a guide here click here

AndySD 15:01 12 Mar 03

As above ...but even for a home PC I would create one partition of about 2/3rds of the Drive during setup for the Operating system and when in windows use the disk manager to create a second partition for storage.

All NTFS

MartinT-B 15:05 12 Mar 03

1) if you haven't bought your XP program yet - go for Pro. More expensive true, but more options.

2) I would still partition my drive for 2 reasons.
a) backup
b) defragging

There are two schools of thought on partitioning. One lot says make a smallish (5-7GB) C: drive and have ONLY your OS and a few essentials on it - putting all other programs onto a seprate partition. The others say 1 big inital partition with all programs and a another for data files only.

I have 3 using second school of thought + a separate drive for my Winswap (pagefile.sys in XP)file

Sir Radfordin™ 15:19 12 Mar 03

NTFS on one partition will work fine and is the simplest way to do things.

Depending on the size of the hard drive and the number of programs then you may wish to partition it. Putting user created data on a seperate partition is often a good idea as you can format the main partition without worrying about your data being lost. Of course you would have it backed up so it wouldn't matter.

Never understood the reason for putting the OS on one partition and the rest of your apps. on another. If you format the OS partition you have to re-install everything again anyway.

Giggle n' Bits 16:39 12 Mar 03

Thank you all for your feedback:-

Thanks to:-

Holographic_man, xtreme_computing, AndySD,
MartinT-B & Sir Radfordin™ (Mr Cheese?)

Thank you all !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…