FAO FORUM EDITOR

Thomo1 19:12 25 Nov 04

I dont know if you can help me personally but im desperate.

Ive just tried to system restore my computer becuz certain things were odd since installing a certain software.
Problem is though i had a power surge when it was in process of restroing and the compute restarted.

Now windows will not load up. It boots up and gets to the Windows screen where windows xp and the loading bar shows then it just goes black and will not proceed to my desktop screen!

I now get options when i try and re-boot that they are sorry for any inconvienience caused but windows couldnt start or end properly and gives me 4 options.

safe mode, safe mode with command, start normally, or start using last working settings. Whenever i choose last working settings the system still will not load up and just goes blank afetr the windows kp loading screen and loading up my desktop.

Please help.

Thanks

add on: safe mode, safe mode with command, load using vga, good last settings, nothing will work!! i have no xp disk!!

the white arrow works but the screen where my desktop shud load just stays blank. My little red light on harddrive flashes but nout happens.

im desperate.

Diodorus Siculus 19:16 25 Nov 04

I know you don't have an XP disk, but what sort of restore disks do you have (if any)? Going by your earlier posts, I don't think that you have any option but to reinstall Windows.

Did you PC come with any info as to how to restore it to factory condition? It may well be too late for that though at this stage if the data is hidden on a partition on the hard disk.

If you have no access to an OS, you may well have to purchase one.

Diodorus Siculus 19:17 25 Nov 04

Sorry, I know I am not Peter - I just didn't read properly...

Dorsai 19:28 25 Nov 04

Do you mean a power surge, or a power cut?

Either way, it is possible that the electrical anomily has fried part of the PC.

A power surge more likely to cause damage than a power cut.

In any event, a loss of power during use can result in corupted data on the disk, aspecially during a process that is writing vital OS files to the disk. You may be left with no option but a re-format & re-install. But your other thread click here said you have no disk to install from, which is a problem.

Djohn 19:53 25 Nov 04

but when you get to the options screen there should be an option to start in "Safe mode with networking" If there is then choose that one.

You will see files running down the screen as XP loads the minimum drivers to give a display and as soon as they stop you will see the option to "Start Windows" highlighted, hit the enter key and it should load up your O/S in safe mode.

The BB 19:59 25 Nov 04

Try reseting your BIOS.

A confused BIOS sometimes stops windows (I 'think' it is the PNP bits) but have defaulted BIOSes in the past and then sailed through boot up on a machine that suddenly went dead

PA28 20:22 25 Nov 04

I'm not FE either - I can't stay up as late as him! There's a myriad of possible answers to this disaster, but it bears a striking resemblance to a problem I had with my son's machine a couple of months ago. Nothing made sense, nothing would work - eventually it all but died, reaching a very similar state to this poor guy's. Then I changed the memory and all was well. Like I say, there's a myriad of possible answers, but check memory is firmly seated and if you have more than one stick try running with one and then the other (if you can get hold of a known good substitute stick, then try that).

MidgetMan 21:01 25 Nov 04

Got to agree with PA28 on this one, try another known good memory stick, it is a little known fact that a duff one can stop windows from writing vital files. A mate has recently experianced this first hand. Could also be that the registery is loading correctly, again a duff ram stick can cause this, or try restoring last good known one. I know you havent said as such but did you choose to format? and then it failed? or just a "overlay"

MidgetMan 21:02 25 Nov 04

Got to agree with PA28 on this one, try another known good memory stick, it is a little known fact that a duff one can stop windows from writing vital files. A mate has recently experianced this first hand. Could also be that the registery is loading incorrectly, again a duff ram stick can cause this, or try restoring last good known one. I know you havent said as such but did you choose to format? and then it failed? or just a "overlay"

MidgetMan 21:02 25 Nov 04

Got to agree with PA28 on this one, try another known good memory stick, it is a little known fact that a duff one can stop windows from writing vital files. A mate has recently experianced this first hand. Could also be that the registery is loading incorrectly, again a duff ram stick can cause this, or try restoring last good known one. I know you havent said as such but did you choose to format? and then it failed? or just a "overlay"

MidgetMan 21:03 25 Nov 04

Errr????? anyway try all 3 :>))))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…