FAO: All you registry experts

Devious Dave 17:47 20 Nov 03

I have just installed Windows XP home on a friend's Packard Bell PC which had 98se previously. Problem is when I shutdown the pc it won't switch off automatically, instead displays a screen with the Win XP logo and "it is now safe to turn off your computer". This is no good as to switch the PC off requires holding down the power button for 5 seconds or more. Basically I want it to switch off automatically as it did with 98se installed. I guess it is value in the registry but cant find it.

Any Ideas? help would be greatly appreciated, David.

Jester2K II 17:50 20 Nov 03

Control Panel, Power Options, APM tab, Enable Advanced Power Management.

Don't have APM tab on my XP Home.

Jester2K II 18:06 20 Nov 03

I do. So do lots of PCs I've solved this problem with before - Home and Pro. I think it depends on your Motherboard.

Djohn 18:13 20 Nov 03

I don't have it on my XP Pro. :o(

MAJ 18:13 20 Nov 03

Jester2K II is correct, your motherboard has to support the ACPI option, a BIOS update might remedy it, but that might be a little drastic if you don't know how to update the BIOS.

Djohn 18:15 20 Nov 03

Jester is probably correct regarding motherboard. To alter mine I go to BIOS and enable/disable power options from there.

So we've got the best one! :-)

VoG II 19:34 20 Nov 03

click here and scroll down to Powerdown Issues.

Djohn 19:59 20 Nov 03

Yep! mine shows four tabs, Power schemes, Advanced, Hibernate, and UPS. ;o)

temp003 10:04 21 Nov 03

I think Jester2k II is right. Whether you get the APM tab depends on your motherboard, and also on the existing power mangagement settings in BIOS before you install XP.

click here for different ways of checking.

I recently clean installed Windows 2000 Pro on an oldish computer for a relative. After that, the computer had the same problem as your friend's.

I then looked at the BIOS settings, which was ACPI enabled and APM was being used.

I kept ACPI enabled, but disabled APM, and voila, it worked. Sounds strange, but it worked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…