Fans - Trouble shooting

Daddo 16:34 02 Sep 03

Hi,

One of the fans on my PC is acting up - VERY noisy and I suspect it is faulty. Is there any easy way of telling which one it is? Currently I have one on the case, motherboard, graphics card and cpu.

Barrie_G 17:49 02 Sep 03

open the case and listen to see if you can hear which one it is then put your finger on it to stop it from spinning, and if the noise stops you know that you have the right one.

Spindrift 17:54 02 Sep 03

Be very careful trying this. For PSU stop the fan by inserting some strong plastic like a pen to stop the fan. You only need to stop it for a few seconds and if the noise goes then you have the culprit. If not then take off the case side and gently press on CPU fan with your finger, just slightly slowing it down without stopping it, same for all open fans. Any fan in a casing then do the same for PSU and you will find the noisy nuisance.

Spindrift 17:56 02 Sep 03

My typing is sso sslloooow ;-)

Djohn 18:05 02 Sep 03

Agree with above, just placing the tip of your finger lightly on the fan will stop it, there is no force to the drive at all! One word of caution, with the CPU fan stop it only for 1 or 2 seconds at a time, the heat from the CPU can increase rapidly. j.

Daddo 22:10 02 Sep 03

Thanks to the advice about troubleshooting fans earlier, I have managed to isolate the problem fan. I belive it is the one on the motherboard. I'm very much a novice when it comes to hardware so can someone advise whether its easy or not to change this part? and if so are they expensive?

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…