Fans stopped working?

Toffly 19:56 31 May 07

Hey guys,

Right, my mate has decided to grab his old 60GB drive and stick in his new computer. At first he couldn't get it working, so he called me over to take a look. Nice and simple, both drives are set as master, lets take that jumper off...

But then the computer didn't recognise the second drive, so I set it back to master and unplugged the first drive, to make sure it wasn't knackered, and it booted fine. Powered it down, set it back to slave, attached the first drive, powered it up, and the fans didn't fire up, so naturally, it refused to boot.

My first impression is that sommat on the board has blown, but I'm hoping someone else has seen this before?

His system is a compaq presario 6000 running XP, not quite fully upto date has he hasn't been connected to the Internet in a while. AMD Athlon 2200+, 512MB RAM, and the only other major change recently is the removal of his wireless card because when it fires up, his tv goes off.

Anyway, I'm just hoping that someone has seen this before and can offer a reasonable explanation, and a fix if possible!!

Thanks in advance :)

BRYNIT 22:19 31 May 07

click here this should help to check that you have installed the HD correctly and have it connected to the correct position of the IDE cable.

woodchip 22:21 31 May 07

Did you put it back as it was to see if it worked?

Toffly 12:16 02 Jun 07

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

Yup, I set the first drive back as master and removed the second one, and the fans still refused to start.

Brynit, the drives were definately installed correctly. The only thing I can think that I had to do with the power was unplug the main connection from the power supply to the motherboard in order to get the second drive into the caddy in the case.

woodchip 13:59 02 Jun 07

Looks like the PSU as blown

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac