Fans are to noisy in PC

Ex plorer 15:19 22 Jan 09

HI I have an oldish PC 4 or 5 years old its fans are on the noisy side is there any way to get them whisper quiet.
I am down stairs and I can here it running upstairs in my spare room.
I would say the PSU is the worst followed by the case and then the processor fan.
It’s a 775 Mobo with a 2.8Pent 4 processor, 1Gig Ram, 120HD, 2 DVD players, and floppy drive.
The PSU is an ISO 300Watt.
I gave it a good clean out and it made some difference but not enough.

oldbeefer2 15:41 22 Jan 09

The only real way is to replace the PSU for a modern, quiet one and replace the other case fans with quieter ones. Whether you think it worth the expense for a 5 yr old computer is up to you!

User-1229748 15:53 22 Jan 09

don't know what operating system you are using but if you have power options in control panel you might be able to run your processor at a maximum of about 70 - 80% which should stop the fans from coming on so often.

Pamy 16:05 22 Jan 09

oil works wonders

Diemmess 16:30 22 Jan 09

Treat yourself to a new PSU.
No need to go over the top with potential power, 300 watts has served so far so 400-500 will be ample.

The inportant thing if you buy a new PSU, is to buy one with its fan usually facing downwards inside the case.
This is a larger diameter than the conventional one of old. It runs more slowly and is therefore much quieter!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced