picklesy 06:21 09 Jul 04

is it possible to change the fan on my mobo. with out changing the heatsink.looking to quiten the pc.looked at some sites they all seem to come with heatsinks or i am missing something.if it is pos. would be gratefull for any links.thanks.

georgemac 07:38 09 Jul 04

if the fan is the same size it is just a question of removing the 4 screws and fitting the new fan. Depending on the one you have, it is normally just an 80 mm fan. I think!

€dstowe 09:14 09 Jul 04

Go to click here and look at item BR123 - it's a bracket that fits on the PCI card screws and allows a free standing fan to sit adjacent to the CPU and heatsink.

It's intened for Zalman heatsinks but, on the older machines we have, I've had these brackets and 92mm fans fitted in place of the noisy fans that came with the heatsinks. Note: you only remove the heatsink fan, leave the heatsink in place, it's still very important!

The airflow from a 92 mm fan is much greater (therefore better cooling) than from a smaller fan going at the same speed. A suitable quiet fan is the Zalman ZM F2 in the same reference as above.

georgemac 10:12 09 Jul 04

click here low cost cooling options click here click here click here I would not have the guts to remove the fan from my heatsink, although I have always fancied the zalman flower cooler.

€dstowe 10:37 09 Jul 04

I got my builder (computer builder) to remove the fan and fit the Zalman bracket/fan on a AMD 1700+ CPU fitted with a recommended Thermaltake H/S. We did extensive temperature checks before and after. The temps. after the new fan were slightly lower than before but I'm doubtful if there's any significant difference.

There was, though, a very noticable difference in the noise from the machine. It was much, much less.

Since doing that, we've fitted the same setup to five of my old machines.

For information, my new machines are in Antec Sonata cases with Zalman heatsinks as per the Quiet pc website.

Stowit 10:40 09 Jul 04

I bought a Zalman, & it was a lot quieter, but much warmer than my previous fan/heatsink. I've ended up with four slower fans & controler now, & it is quieter than the previous set up, but not cooler. I'm happy enough now, but it wasn't just fit Zalman alone. It's mainly the fan speed that causes the noise. Try a fan mate (or the like) & watch the CPU temp. My temp went up almost 20 degrees to 50 with my new heatsink. If a reduction in fan speed causes no greater increase, youve not lost anything. Windows XP gave me a ten degree temp drop!

georgemac 11:18 09 Jul 04

my pc is quite noisy and I think that as a winter project I will try and reduce the noise along with a cpu upgrade.

I have a speed adjustable coolermaster cooler on my xp2000, and most of the noise comes from this, although some will be from the twin fan psu.

my pc is located in a built in unit, so air circ is poor, and I run the cpu at full load all the time (united devices using all the spare cycles)

with my old gigabye motherboard, the cpu temps was always between 65 and 70 degC, the m/b failed, due to I suspect high temps.

my asus m/b (asus probe) reports the same cpu, h/sink fan and all the rest the same as 51 degC, system temp 38 degC, I just cannot see that a motherboard change has dropped the temp by 15 degC.

picklesy 14:56 09 Jul 04

thanks folks gives me a bit to think about.georgemac you say you would,nt have the guts to change your,s why not apparently it,s just a matter of removing 4 screws,mind you i was told it was easy to change a mobo.i had to replace it after i ucked it up,also cost me a bottle of jack danials for a friend to do the job right.ah well here we go again.

georgemac 17:15 09 Jul 04

no I would easily change and have changed a fan on a heatsink, it is simple, I removed a 7000 rpm noisy fan and replaced it with a slower one.

What I would not do is remove the fan from the heatsink and have a separate fan not attatched to the heatsink blowing air over the heatsink, although it seems to work for edstowe

€dstowe 17:18 09 Jul 04

I was apprehensive about doing it but, we had an old machine available which was particularly noisy and in line for being replaced so we thought: why not?

As I commented, it worked fine. Obviously, I can't guarantee that it would work for you but there is not reason why it shouldn't.

Dorsai 17:30 09 Jul 04

It is possible to remove the fan fitted to your heatsink and replace it, as has already been said above,

(IMHO) As a general rule you will probably be limited in the size the new fan will be, as it cant be much larger than the fan you already have, or it won't fit, with-out an adaptor of some sort.

In order to get the same amount of air flowing over the heatsink a fan of a simular size will probably have to spin at around the same sort of speed, and though it may be quiter as it uses better design etc, it may end up not that much quieter.

If you look at heaksink/fan combo's that have been designed to be especially quiet it is normally noticable that they use a fan and heatsink much larger than cheaper, noisy units. this is beacause a big fan can move the same amount of air at a much lower (and hence quieter) speed. The larger heatsink is more efficient at getting rid of the heat, and so will need less air-flow, which means the fan speed (and noise) can be reduced even further. In fact if the heat-sink were to be made big enough it would not need a fan at all (but would then end up too big to fit in the PC).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…