Fan signal connector.

Alf58 18:52 18 Feb 07

I've just installed a new power supply (400Watt Jeantech) and it has something called a "fan signal connector" which is a three pin connector which I have connected to the only three pin connector on my mother board. It is supposed to mointor the fan speed. How do I access this information? Or do I only find out about the fan speed if I get an error message?

Anyone got any bright ideas?

TicTacToc 19:02 18 Feb 07

A program like SmartGuardian, MBM5 or Speedfan should allow you to monitor this fan speed.

Try searching for the :)

Alf58 19:49 18 Feb 07

Thanks for the reply. I'll have a search.

skidzy 19:58 18 Feb 07

You should be able to monitor the speed and temp in the bios,but this will be while the system is idle.
Using something like Speedfan will give you a better reading while the system is working or even under a bit of stress.Speedfan click here

Though i use Speedfan and have done for a while now,i am still confused with one of its readings....thats another story im afraid.

vitrocmax 23:15 18 Feb 07

From Jeantech's website - 'Fan Speed Monitor Connector (3-pin) providing real time rotational speed of the power supply fan to the system.'

You say you have connected it to the 'only' three pin connector on your MB - do you know what this connector is normally used for? I suspect that if it is a fan connector it would normally have a 12v supply and feedback pulse on it's 3 pins. Is there only one wire connected to the 3 pin connector (usually yellow)from the power supply?

If it is a case fan connector then one of the programs above should be fine.

woodchip 23:46 18 Feb 07

You may find the Fan speed in the BIOS under PC health or similar tab

keef66 11:27 19 Feb 07

come on then, what's your experience with Speedfan? I use it and I get 2 fan speeds (cpu and psu) and 2 temps (cpu and mobo) which more or less agree with those in the bios, so I'm happy to go on using it.

skidzy 16:16 19 Feb 07

Can you explain how you can read your bios temp as the same as when the system is under stress.Can you access your bios while logged into windows,maybe im missing something.

My experience of speedfan goes back a while and always served me fine.However since i rebuilt this machine it reports a third temp that is high.I have two fans,cpu heatsink and psu no third fan.

Ive tried other mobo programs and they all report the same as does the bios when the system is idle.Maybe this is a fault of the mobo...i dont know.

If you can shine any light on this,it would be appreciated.The third temp is high and the flame warning.This does not affect the performance of the machine in any way,the case is not hot and fans are clear.Cpu has been replaced and thermal compound applied correctly.
click here

I have come to the conclusion either right or wrong that none of the programs can read this mobo correctly.

When Speedfan is used on any of my other machines,it reports everything absolutely fine to the best of my knowledge.

ed-0 20:43 19 Feb 07

Not sure if this is what you mean?

I've never used speedfan, but have used the asus utility that gives an accurate temp reading on cpu and system. It also gave a third reading, I think this was for the southbridge chip on the motherboard. Some of these have heatsiks, some have fans connected.

One of my desktops has an asus board. This uses the asus detection software. It also has probes to the cpu and motherboard. these two readings correspond quite well to everests readings of the heat in the system. This is confirmed by shuting down the PC and entering the bios to check the bios temps.

So for me, I use everest as a benchmark. I find it quite accurate.

What motherboard do you have. It may have a extra sensor of fan connecter that speed fan can detect but is not connected up.

Maybe~~))

If I'm way out, you can email me, if you wish.

ed-0 20:46 19 Feb 07

everest click here

speedfan click here

keef66 08:38 20 Feb 07

I meant at startup or soon afterwards; the readings agree. Obviously you can't dive into the bios while the thing's running 3d benchmarks. The closest is to look at speedfan, shut down and restart to go into bios.

I think ed's probably correct and your mobo has temp monitoring for one of the chipset. Does the manufacturer have a monitoring utility?

Increasethe temp settings in speedfan so it no longer regards this temp as too high. If it's a passively cooled chip it will get quite hot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant