Fan noise on computer

heavymetalkid 23:20 01 Dec 05

I've just bought a new Evesham computer through the HCI scheme. It's much more powerful than my previous old machine,it also makes more fan noise. nothing I can't live with,but the whirring noise is there. Anyone got any reaction to this sort of noise?

wallbash 23:37 01 Dec 05

Bigger / powerful equals heat which needs dispersing ! Therefore better/bigger fans ( or more expense)

My latest home build scarificed the speed for a quieter model

phono 00:13 02 Dec 05

As wallbash says, MORE power equals MORE heat equals MORE noise, unless MORE money is spent on MORE expensive cooling/soundproofing methods.

I see a theme here that seems to revolve around the word MORE. ;^)

I personally am willing to sit next to a mini jet engine if it means MORE performance. ;^)

007al 00:20 02 Dec 05

install a fan monitor,so you can turn down the fan speed when you`re not running anything intensive.will make it a little more quiet.
decent fans can make a big difference too.
for the case fans,you want the lager sizes so they dont have to rotate as fast

SG Atlantis® 07:51 02 Dec 05

this compaq with a athlon 64. sounds like a boeing taking off when it's under full load.

Just live with it. It's not worth tampering with a new machine.

Regards,

SG A

wallbash 09:47 02 Dec 05

Its a factor when we think about a new / new build machine. As one who does NOT play the latest 'game' I can afford to consider a slower machine. But even my modest 2.4 gig ( with lots of Ram) would be too noisy if it was not for better/larger is slower fans. Also a better case .

How does anyone sit next to a 'mini jet engine' for hour after hour ?

rmcqua 10:05 02 Dec 05

I bought one of these for my 3.2 GHz P4 running at 3.85GHz. It's very quiet and the processor runs super cool:

click here

phono 15:32 02 Dec 05

"How does anyone sit next to a 'mini jet engine' for hour after hour ?"

I heard that! ;^)

Answer is I don't really, its under the desk where the sound is considerably deadened by the time it reaches me.

Cheers.

Lettervanman 15:59 02 Dec 05

Check your system,my Evesham had "cool n quiet" available but was not enabled by default.
I have it running now and it helps a lot,it controls the fan speed depending on what you are doing at the time. This means that when processor is not being worked hard the fan speed is reduced and therefor makes less noise.

Batch 16:53 02 Dec 05

If it is really bad, it could be a faulty fan. My Mesh came like that. I diagnosed which fan it was by taking off the cover (with the machine booted) and then gently touching the hub of each fan in turn to momentarily stop it. It was then quite obvious which fan was the culprit. Mesh then replaced it.

Note - if you are going to take the cover off and delve inside, you should discharge any static before you touch any components - easiest way is to touch the chassis beforehand. Also, MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE YOU DO NOT TOUCH THE PSU OR MAINS CABLES. If you are at all unsure, get some one who knows what they are doing to do it.

Batch 16:53 02 Dec 05

If it is really bad, it could be a faulty fan. My Mesh came like that. I diagnosed which fan it was by taking off the cover (with the machine booted) and then gently touching the hub of each fan in turn to momentarily stop it. It was then quite obvious which fan was the culprit. Mesh then replaced it.

Note - if you are going to take the cover off and delve inside, you should discharge any static before you touch any components - easiest way is to touch the chassis beforehand. Also, MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE YOU DO NOT TOUCH THE PSU OR MAINS CABLES. If you are at all unsure, get some one who knows what they are doing to do it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…