Fan on MSI Motherboard

BabyOp 20:58 22 Mar 07

Hi

My PC recently became very noisy with a whiring sound. I took it apart tonight and gave it a spring clean. There was a little bit of dust on the CPU H/S and fan so I cleaned it all out put it all back together again and still had the noise. I have pinned it down to the fan on the motherboard if I take the power away from this the PC is whisper quiet, plug it back in and the noise begins again.

Would I do any damage if this fan wasn't running as it's not running correctly at the minute anyway ?

Does anyone know of anywhere I can purchase a replacement fan ? It's an MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum.

Thanks in advance.

Totally-braindead 21:09 22 Mar 07

Don't run it without the fan its there for a purpose. Without the fan it may overheat and you will have to buy a new motherboard.
It sounds like the Northbridge fan and if so failure is pretty common. You can either buy a replacement Northbridge fan or a Northbridge heatsink. I prefer the heatsink. The last board I had had 3 fan failures in two years so I replaced it with a heatsink. 5 years later its still going strong.

click here or have a look through these click here though most are out of stock at the moment.

riiverstock 21:11 22 Mar 07

In the last few minutes I have just changed the fan on a motherboard to a fanless heatsink like the ones on a graphics card.
I had replaced the fan on the Southbridge chip but it made no difference,this could be down to slight warping of the board.

I got the heatsink of a dead motherboard - the pinch out/push in type.

BabyOp 22:17 22 Mar 07

Thanks lads. Just having a quick look on the MSI forum and apparently this is a common problem and there are some suggestions on replacements that I can fit.

Aargh 22:27 22 Mar 07

Is it an Evesham by chance? They seem to run perfectly, but with above average noise from new on the MSI boards they fit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now