Fan from Hell!

sorceror7374 01:22 13 Mar 04

I have an AMD processor and I run two normal fans to keep the tower good and cool, nothing fancy, however over the past few months the main fan on the heatsink has gotten louder and louder. It's not that there's something obstructing the fan as I've checked it and it seems fine, though I did notice that the fan seems to go quieter if I pull the wire taut that leads out from the corner of the fan. Do I need a new fan? Any suggestions?

Irishman 01:36 13 Mar 04

click here

There are three articles in this series all to do with cooling your PC and keeping it quiet at the same time. Worth reading. If your cpu fan is getting louder then the bearings are on their way out and I would strongly advise getting a new fan. AMD processors can be destroyed within a couple of seconds of startup if the fan is not working properly. Have a look at your bios and see if there is a option to have the computer shut down automatically in the event of the cpu overheating.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 01:46 13 Mar 04

If the fan is making noise i would say it is on its way out, you could leave it and see but if it goes and the cpu goes with it can be costly so a few pounds now could save money later.Some fans can be sorted but for the price of a new 1 may as well get 1.

Regards.

hugh-265156 02:09 13 Mar 04

i would replace the fan as above.its cheaper to do this than an expensive cpu.

if an older amd processor click here and check out the videos at the end of the article.

Irishman 02:21 13 Mar 04

I remember those! Scared the hell out of me when I first changed to an AMD cpu.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…