Fan on desktop pc constantly running - why?

GileyD 12:32 12 Aug 07

I have an 18 month old HP pc in the bedroom. For the last couple of months the fan starts up after 5-10 mins of the PC being switched on and then stays on constantly, though at varying speeds, until the PC is switched off. It is quite loud and distracting unless I play music to drown it, but my main concern is that the PC is running too hot and this may lead to damage. Or it may just be a faulty thermostat / fan.

Is there any way I can find out what is causing this?

Thanks

birdface 12:37 12 Aug 07

Normally the fans start when the computer is switched on,If they start up after 5-10 minutes might be something wrong with your computer,

skidzy 12:38 12 Aug 07

First thing to do is to check if the fans are blocked !

Check all fans are free of dust and any other foreign bodies.

It is quite possible a bearing has gone on the heatsink.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:13 12 Aug 07

18 month old HP pc in the bedroom

may be a good clean is required click here

Pamy 13:39 12 Aug 07

GileyD, are you telling us that the fans never ran before a couple of months ago?

Or, is it that you did not hear them running?

You can download a program that will tell you the temp's of CPU etc. but I have not got it available at present.

GileyD 13:43 12 Aug 07

Thanks all. Pamy - they may well have run before but they certainly weren't noticeable when just surfing the net etc, only when burning data to discs etc.

I will give the inside of the box a good clean, but in the meantime if you can find a link to d/l that program I'd apreciate it.

Pamy 13:45 12 Aug 07

Beware of static when cleaning

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac