Family Tree Maker

Lemur 23:17 05 Nov 03

I received an attachment to an e.mail which purports to be my family tree. I have been unable to open the attachment, and get the following error message: "Problem with shortcut. The driver network connection that the shortcut 'Family Tree Maker (2).Ink' refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available, and then try again."

How can I open the attachment without obtaining the disk; presumably by getting the network resource please? I have XP and use Outlook Express.

VoG II 23:27 05 Nov 03

1) if you were not expecting tthis, delete it. I
t could be a virus.

2) I looks like they sent you a link instead of the document.

3) if you were expecting it, do you have the software to read it? Contact the sender and find out what software they used.

Lemur 23:38 05 Nov 03

Thanks VoG.
1) It is not a virus. I know the source is OK.
2) The sender tested it by sending to himself but, was able to open it, presumably because he had the program on his computer.
3) I do not have the software and, because of his ill health, I do not want to trouble him. "Family Tree Maker" is the name of the software, I understand.

Salinger 23:53 05 Nov 03

You are correct in your assumption that he could open it because he has the software installed.

He has simply sent you a link to something which is on his computer. It is an easy matter for him to send you the proper file as an attachment.

Lemur 00:25 06 Nov 03

Thank you Salinger. Will investigate along those lines.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac