Family members killing my PC! - WinXP to MCE?

Radix Lecti 20:14 27 May 06

Good evening all, I've been trying to run my games recently however all games are telling me that my graphics card isn't up to scratch (even older games).

I have an ATI Radeon 9800 pro (256mb) card, but for some reasons, games are telling me it's only packed with 16mb!

Now, after some pressing of a certain family member, he tells me he found a download online that would 'convert' my Windows XP Home OS to Media Centre Edition. He tells me he didn't install anything, but copied some stuff from this download to the WINDOWS directory somewhere (I can't find it).

He also told me that he'd read about there being some issue with this GFX card and MCE, and that it recommended he alter some registry settings. He has no idea what they were (he 'just did it').

I don't want to have to format and reinstall, so I'd appreciate some guidance.

Anyone come across this issue? It's obscure, I know.

Whether it helps at all, when I run DXDIAG, under the 'Display' tab, it says "Approx Total Memory: n/a". When I run the DirectDraw test, it completes it without problem, however when I click 'Test Direct3D' the first test fails (and I receive an error message which states "Test failed at step 8 (creating 3d device): HRESULT =0x8007000e (Out of Memory)".

I've tried reinstalling DX9, I've tried removing and reinstalling the Cat drivers...

I also get a message when running games that says" "AGP Texture Acceleration" is unavailable. Yet it appears to be enabled.

Any thoughts?

VoG II 20:16 27 May 06

Have you tried a System Restore? This should reset the registry.

Radix Lecti 20:17 27 May 06

Thing is, the culprit performed this bit of foolery some weeks ago, and there are too many settings etc I'd loose if I performed a system restore.

recap 20:33 27 May 06

Look in the download folder in Explorer, if the download is not there, then it may have been placed in the I386 folder or the system/system32 folder as it is a Windows download?

I would press this family member again to see if they can show you were the article is, so you can reset the registry.

Radix Lecti 20:53 27 May 06

I don't use IE, I use Firefox, but the downloads list and cache is cleared down daily.

I've checked in each of the folder you mention, and I've pressed the 'foon as much as I can. He simply doesn't remember, as it could have literally been 3 months ago (that's how long I've not played PC games for! Shock horror!).

Whether it helps, I believe this 'upgrade' to MCE is not exactly legitimate, so I doubt the MS knowledgebase would have anything to say either :(

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:26 27 May 06

Uninstall the graphics card (display adapter) and reinstall

€dstowe 06:30 28 May 06

Why isn't this "family member" and "ex-family member"?

thms 09:35 28 May 06

You could try going to run type sfc /scannow (note space between c&/) you will need your XP Home disc.

If you get a message prompting you to insert MCE disc then your system has been converted. I very much doubt you will be able to do anything other than re-format your drive.

Radix Lecti 09:47 28 May 06

This is the annoying thing, the conversion wasn't applied (it just kinda sits in the WINDOWS directory apparently), but by soon to be excommunicated home sharer tampered with the registry despite this.

thms 10:45 28 May 06

Try running this click here
and re-install your cat drivers.

Radix Lecti 13:07 28 May 06

thanks tmns... I've done that. I've even tried removing the ATI card from Device Manager, un-installing the Hyperion drivers, un-installing the CATS and then reinstalling them all.

Still no luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…