False virus alert??

ricvic 15:41 20 Jan 03
  ricvic 15:41 20 Jan 03

I downloaded 1st page 2000 from click here on a recommendation.
While installing Norton AV 2000 threw up a virus warning regarding 'Six buttons from hell.izs' infection with Js.Trojan.WindowBomb.

My searches on the net suggest that this is a false alert, although Symantec does not comment itself. I would be grateful for the comments of others.

ricvic 15:42 20 Jan 03

Sorry badly expressed: while installing 1st page 2000, Norton AV....

bvw in bristol 15:52 20 Jan 03

Hmmm...still searching but found this:click here

ricvic 15:55 20 Jan 03

THanks for that.
I read one opinion which suggested that it was a 'sample file' included with 1stpage.

bvw in bristol 16:26 20 Jan 03

Pasted from:click here

I have read that other anti-virus products have also recently begun to flag this file. But the fact is that this file is an EXAMPLE JavaScript in one of the 1st Page subdirectories (albeit, not a particularly clever choice for inclusion by EvrSoft). The script is completely harmless unless you explicitly invoke it. Even then, all it does is allocate system resources until Windows hangs, after which you must reboot.

Note that this is actually a quite common behavior of many Windows programs anyway, and the need to reboot Windows is hardly an unusual event.

To "fix" this problem, you can simply delete the Six buttons from hell.izs file from your machine. It is only a script example and is NOT REQUIRED as part of the EvrSoft 1st Page program to function.

ricvic....let Norton do it's work and delete it :o)

Good luck.

ricvic 17:40 20 Jan 03

It does seem odd to dstribute viruses as part of legit programmes.
It is now deleted!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…