False Sykpe Update Notification Received

schmollies 14:43 24 Sep 13

Hi,

In the past month or so, I have been receiving a small pop-up in the task bar "Your old Skype software should be updated to version 6.7.60.102 It is important to keep your software updated to avoid system crashes and security threats". Then there is a link, Click to update.

On the first occasion I received this, I did click the link to update. When I next ran a Malwarebytes scan, it identified up quite a few nasties which were deleted.

When I next received the pop-up, I checked my current Skype version & it is not that quoted in the pop-up; I now simply click on the small X to close it.

My question is how can I stop this from appearing in future? Nothing happens if I right click on the pop-up, so no idea where it is coming from.

Any Thoughts?

Ray

Nontek 14:55 24 Sep 13

I have just updated my Skype by going to Help in Skype and checking there for latest update. All updated smoothly, now have V. 6.7.0.102!

I suggest you go the same route.

schmollies 19:26 24 Sep 13

Hi Nontek,

Thanks for your reply. Went into the Skype site & it does say I have the latest version. (I did this check a few weeks ago and since then, I still receive these pop-ups saying my version is out of date)

It is obviously a false message, but how can I stop it? Any other idea?

Thanks,

Ray

schmollies 10:11 02 Oct 13

Bump

Any further ideas as I am receiving this "false message" every day now.

I have checked the Skype site and my installed version is up to date.

Ray

schmollies 10:11 02 Oct 13

Bump

Any further ideas as I am receiving this "false message" every day now.

I have checked the Skype site and my installed version is up to date.

Ray

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac