A False Floppy Disc

Quilljar 14:23 18 Jan 06

Here is a challenge!
I have an icon in My Computer which is an extra floppy disc 3½ Floppy(B:)

It has 1.38 Mb capacity, and even has six jpgs of aircraft in it. However, I only have one floppy disc (A:) and the drive is empty.

All my drives are accounted for, so where does this ghost floppy come from? It is usable and workable, but where could it be?
It has been there for at least a year, but I have ignored it until now.
Any good suggestions?

gartoye 15:31 18 Jan 06

maybe there actually is another floppy drive sitting inside the case.

Diemmess 16:01 18 Jan 06

If you open My Computer and right click on Drive B: and choose Properties, what do you see?

PaulB2005 16:19 18 Jan 06

Is there any Virtual Disk software running?

Simsy 16:57 18 Jan 06

USB flash drive that came ready "partitioned". It has a bit made to look like a floppy.

I think it was meant so you could put appropriate system files on it and Boot from it...

Anyway, the gist of this is that perhaps you have the same? Do you have a USB drive in that might give thei effect? If so remove it and see if the phantom floppy disappears.

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

ventanas 17:00 18 Jan 06

I was just going to post the same as Simsy. My USB flash drive does the same thing. One main Drive (G) and another floppy drive (B). Removing it (make sure you go through the proper process of safely removing hardware) gets rid of both of them.

Gongoozler 17:03 18 Jan 06

Enter BIOS setup (usually by pressing "Del" at startup), then check whether a second floppy drive is enabled.

Quilljar 19:10 18 Jan 06

Right! I have a couple of USB flash drives, one of which is 1Gb and usually kept plugged in. I disengaged it in the way you suggested, and sure enough the ghost floppy has gone! So it must be a small partition on the flash drive.
You think it could be used for booting up? Good idea I may try it.
Many thanks for solving this mystery, I wd never have guessed it!

woodchip 19:18 18 Jan 06

Check first Page in BIOS you should only have a 1,44MB drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…