False address book entry - stop the virus?

Sir Radfordin™ 10:12 12 Feb 03

Someone has just suggested the false AAAA address book entry again as a way of stopping a worm sending out emails.

I have seen this before and am sure the consensus was that it didn't actually make much different.

Does anyone have any links to back that claim up - either way!

Much better in my mind is to stop it in the first place!

leo49 10:15 12 Feb 03

Like you, this old chestnut rang a bell but it was such a while ago I couldn't remember where the comprehensive refutation came from - I do know it was demonstrated to be totally flawed.

Regards

Ben Avery (Work) 10:19 12 Feb 03

Let's face it, for those of us with the wonder of "virus protection" I see no worry!

If people are silly enough to go on the www without up-to-date virus protection they only have themself to blame.

BA

Sir Radfordin™ 10:22 12 Feb 03

Found one link:

click here

Ben, agree but with the new varients coming out all the time then the belt and braces approach is always good - but only if it actually works! New virus are able to circumnavigate protection and get into the system if you don't get the updates as soon as they come out. AV can never give 100% protection.

JoeC 11:00 12 Feb 03
  Belatucadrus 11:16 12 Feb 03

click here Or click here for a couple of bits of software to back up any anti virus software, neither qualify as bloatware or system hogs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…