Fake XP?

Whiteadder310556 17:46 21 May 09

A neighbour bought a secondhand computer a while back, has said that when she log on she got a message, not email(?), saying that it could be fake. And was not operational, I said I would go round and see what could be done. Any ideas?

Pineman100 17:53 21 May 09

If the version of XP that's installed on the computer has not been properly registered, with a valid product key, then she will get warnings to this effect. After a while, she will also start to experience reduced functionality.

The only solution is to purchase a valid copy of XP. Provided it's the same version as that installed on the computer, then the product key that comes with the bought copy can be used to validate the installation, so a full reinstall may not be necessary.

I understand that copies of XP are becoming more difficult to find.

Whiteadder310556 18:03 21 May 09

It seeems that her son, who has now gone to live in Canada, put XP on her computer. This was surposed to be genuine (packaged etc, with COA) for broadband, so reading your posting it will eventually fail. But as far as I know XP is no longer available to buy?

Technotiger 18:06 21 May 09
  Technotiger 18:08 21 May 09

Or a 'look' on Google will undoubtedly turn up plenty more.

Pineman100 18:09 21 May 09

click here

click here

Remember that with an OEM edition (which is probably all you'll find now), it can only ever be used on the one computer.

DieSse 18:11 21 May 09

If it was a genuine version then she should still have the COA and Product Key, plus the CD.

So you should be able to sort it out by calling Microsoft and explaining what's happened.

Is it XP Home or XP Pro? I presume it's an OEM copy, as retail copies do not have COA stickers.

kjrider 22:20 21 May 09

I am amazed that there is this fuss about XP, now that M$ are no longer supporting it.

KJR

DieSse 22:32 21 May 09

Be aware that

MS are still supporting it.

MS are still selling it as the ONLY Windows system for less powerful netbooks

It's still by FAR the most used and most popular desktop in the world.

Pineman100 09:53 22 May 09

What fuss? Whiteadder310556 just wants to get XP working on this computer.

Whiteadder310556 17:14 22 May 09

Thanks for all the replies. So is it a case of contacting MS for the correct code? No doubt at a charge!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant