Fake chain email offering £60 Sainsbury's vouchers

Charlie Babbage 20:13 29 Oct 05

Beware! There's a fake email on its rounds at the moment - I received it recently from someone I know.

Basically, it says that if you forward the email to 10 of your friends then you'll each receive £60 of Sainbury's vouchers. Of course, it sounds too good to be true and it is. The catch is that you have to send a copy of the email to an address which I'll not repeat but which looks as if it is a Sainsbury's address. Of course, it isn't Sainsbury's at all, just some fraudster who is trying to harvest email addresses.

The best thing you can do if you receive this email is to immediately bin it!

kinger 20:18 29 Oct 05

Sainsbury's are aware, I believe, of this problem and are going to mention it on their website in due course.

Audeal 21:22 29 Oct 05

I will never understand why anybody would respond to this type of e-mail. I know it does happen because I get some asking me to forward it to everybody in my address book. I totaly ignore this kind of thing which reminds me of the old style of "Pyramid" "Snail Mail" going around years ago. My advice is to BIN IT and forget it.

p;3 21:48 29 Oct 05

forewarned and fore-armed; mailwasher will pick it up and do the necessary:)

Forum Editor 00:33 30 Oct 05

Please do not bounce these messages (or indeed any other spam or hoax mail) in Mailwasher.

Doing that achieves absolutely nothing, except add to the vast amount of sludge churning around on the internet, which in turn slows mailservers everywhere. The only time an email should be bounced is if it's undeliverable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…