Failure of system to recognise Windows XP CD

I recently had to undertake a disc scan and at the end was requested to insert the WindowsXP Home Edition CD to get dll files transferred. On insertion of my original WindowsXP CD the computer would not recognise it requesting I insert the correct CD. I have tried my alternative CD drive but to no avail. Is there a problem in the registry?

Diodorus Siculus 17:11 08 Dec 03

Try going to

start,

run

and type

sfc /scannow

That may well replace the necessary files (if any need replacing).

Diodorus Siculus 23:26 27 Dec 03

Was there a problem in the registry?

Diodorus Siculus 17:53 28 Dec 03

Received by email:

Thanks for the interest shown in my problem. I have still not been able to resolve it. Your "scannow" proposal gives the same problem, because this is where the problem arose in the first place when I was asked for the WindowsXP CD. I have also tried changing the CD drive letters , but all to no avail. As far as the registry is concerned I have been unable to find where the trigger on startup for the "Windows Fle Protection" kicks into action. I am sure there must be an entry fot the installation disk which must have got corrupted. If you have any further ideas I would be very grateful. In the meantime thanks for your interest.

Have you tried a registry cleaner? Maybe the one from MS will help.

Or anyone else out there with an idea?

VoG II 18:01 28 Dec 03

Is it asking for something like "Windows Home Edition SP1" (or something similar).

Have you tried just clicking OK (repeatedly) to see if it will eventually accept your CD.

georgemac 18:09 28 Dec 03

do not know if this is pertinent here, but I installed xp on a friends PC, and it just reused to install from the cd-rom drive.

I got the answer in the knowledge base but cannot find it now. I had to copy all the files to the hard drive and install from there and it went like a dream.

All the commands to copy the files unforunately I cannot find them.

powerless 18:16 28 Dec 03

***I have also tried changing the CD drive letters***

When you installed XP! Have you chnaged the drive letter back to what it was originally when you installed XP?

VoG II 18:19 28 Dec 03

Via e-mail

Certainly my WindowsXP version is pre SP1, having updated via the Windows Update site so food for thought there.
Tried your idea of continually clicking on ok until requests complete, but on next startup same problem arises!!!!!!??

John it is best if you post a response to this thread rather than using e-mail which is for private messages between forum users.

Are you saying that it is asking for the Windows disk every time you restart?

Certainly my WindowsXP version is pre SP1, having updated via the Windows Update site so food for thought there. Tried your idea of continually clicking on ok until requests complete, but on next startup same problem arises!!!!!!??

Yes it asks for the WindowsXP CD each time I start. I overcome it by edventually managing to `Cancel`

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…