Failure to shut down

wheeltaper 21:13 12 Feb 04

Win98E,Pentium3, 384Mb RAM. Shutdown fix installed from Microsoft, still persists in not shutting down, resulting in having to maually shut off with all that entails.
Happens more so when I have been scanning and processing photo's, any ideas?
Limiting virtual memory to 3.5 times ram makes no difference.

curlylad 21:27 12 Feb 04

Are you getting any error message or does it just hang at 'windows is shutting down' ?

VoG II 21:34 12 Feb 04
  DAG88 21:35 12 Feb 04

on some of my school computers, you have to keep pressing enter on the "windows is shutting down" screen.
give it a shot, it might work for you

flash_gordon 22:02 12 Feb 04

Try the microsoft knowlege base..... click here ,it could be many different things. I had shutdown problems with W98, but cured it with a patch from microsoft. I can't remember which one though, sorry. Windows is waiting for a programme to terminate before switching off, but its not happening. happy hunting.

david4637 13:41 13 Feb 04

I have tried most of the options on my W98SE PC. The only thing I find that works 90% of the time is:-

1. Shut down all programs using Control+ Alt + Del dialog box

2. Leave the PC for 30 mins.

Good luck David

david4637 13:47 13 Feb 04

Should have added-
3. Then use a shut dowm icon with this syntax - C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL.EXE user.exe,exitwindows.
David

wheeltaper 16:22 13 Feb 04

No message, just hangs with Windpws Logo.
Most of the time it behaves itself, seems to only happen when I process photos, using high definition.
wheeltapper

curlylad 22:02 14 Feb 04

Have you solved this yet ?
You say it happens when you've been scanning and processing are you plugging any USB devices into the PC whilst doing this ? If so go to microsoft.com and try looking under article number 310922.Or try 308349.

wheeltaper 16:28 16 Feb 04

No, no other device is removed or connected at any time. all as is.
It seems as if somewhere their is a massive file that prevents the machine from shutting down. If I scan a photo in at 360dpi, giving a massive 30mb file, then the machine will hang on shut down.
I seem to have tried everything. Perhaps i should give up doing photo's.
Thanks anyway.
Wheeltaper

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…