Failure to "Save As Text" a PDF file

thegreypanther 11:37 10 May 07

I want to use a scanner for OCR purposes.
I have just purchased an Epson V350 scanner, where you can save a document as a PDF file. Having scanned in a page of text, I saved in PDF format then used Adobe Reader v8.0 to "Save As Text"
The result is a blank text file.
Any hints as to where I might be going wrong?
Any chance that an Epson PDF file is not a "proper" PDF file?

Technotiger 11:41 10 May 07

Hi, you need a PDF converter program - have a look here, courtesy of Google ..

click here

Technotiger 11:42 10 May 07

Oops - that was something I was doing earlier ..

click here

thegreypanther 12:48 10 May 07

Tecnotiger, - the suggested program is brilliant. But it still doesn't enable me to convert a PDF file to text using "Save As".
I've tried converting a JPG image and TIFF image into a PDF file using the suggested program. THEY can't be saved as text files in Adobe Reader v8.
Looks like I'm up a gum tree again.....!!

Technotiger 13:58 10 May 07

Well I use PDF Converter Pro, this does allow saving as a Word doc. I have not used the freebies, but I thought they might do the same.

Technotiger 14:07 10 May 07

Me again - I have just experimented with Adobe Reader8 .. I saved a PDF file as text, using File>Save as: I then directed it to save in My Documents and it saved successfully as a text file.

thegreypanther 16:44 10 May 07

I find that I can use Adobe Reader to save a PDF file as a text file if this file has been made using Adobe Acrobat.
Therefore, I now strongly suspect that the Epson V350 scanner, and its software, may save a scanned document as a PDF file, - which can certainly be READ as a PDF document, but that file lacks some attribute or other that enable sit to be saved as a text file.
So Epson have managed to create a different variety of PDF file by the looks of it!??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac