Failure to retrieve or send emails

Tart 22:17 02 Jul 03

After a weeks holiday I connected to gather my emails only to findI got an error message with a code 0x800CCC0D, which I have subsequently found out it is to do with Norton Antivirus. Ifollowedthe instructions to disable NAV for incoming and outgoing emails but still I get the error message an am unable to open Outlook express. I have rung technical helplines but they are unable to help me to resolve this issue. Please can someone help. I'm getting desperate. I run XP, using Breathe ISP, which is in transition state from Affinity. Jane

VoG II 22:23 02 Jul 03

What exactly happens when you try to open Outlook Express?

Tart 22:41 02 Jul 03

I open the email page, but when I press send/receive I get the message:
The host 'pophost1.cornwall-county.com could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account 'my name', Server: pophost1.cornwall-county.com. Protocol:POP3, Port 110, Secure (SSL): No, socket error 11004, Error number 0x800CCC0D.

Cornwall-county was part of Affinity who decided to discontinue the "branches" and go with Breathe. All the settings have been checked and re-checked and everything is OK, but I still have this problem. Tonight I even tried to open my emails on my laptop - I disabled NAV for the emails, but I even got the same message on the laptop. I have no trouble surfing.

madPentium 23:39 02 Jul 03

the mail server name is either wrong or they are having difficulties with their systems at the moment.

billyliv 00:20 03 Jul 03

Hi, Just a little maybe, Because you haven't opened your mail for a set time, your ISP may have suspended your account. Have a look at their web site and ring the number for customer services. at least if they haven't suspended your account they should be able to 'auto re-instal' your details. Cheers, Bill

Tart 21:08 03 Jul 03

I have found out today but whether I believ it or not, is that Cornwall county have changed their domain name but haven't told their subscribers! I can't get in touch with their help lines they are either permanently engaged, or if they do ring, they are answered and then ever minute or so a voice tells me that the "agents" are busy, please hold on as my call is important to them!. After 1bout 10 - 15 minutes of this I then get another message saying that as all agents are currently still busy please try again later and then the 'phone is cut off. The other option is that the 'phone will ring for about 2 minutes and then will be cut off. So I'm going to change my ISP, is there any way of diverting my emails from my old ISP to the new one, until I've been able to tell everyone, and is there a way of retrieving the emails already posted from the old ISP to the new one?

madPentium 21:14 03 Jul 03

If you change ISPs then the only way you can divert is to contact the old one and ask them IF they are willing to set up a transfer for you, for say 30 days.

Tart 21:52 03 Jul 03

Thank you I will try that, if I can get hold of them!

powerless 22:05 03 Jul 03

Do you by any chance use sofware from symantec?

Norton Anti virus for example.

Tart 22:19 03 Jul 03

Yes and I have been told that part of the problem is the virus checker on ingoing and outgoing emails. I have disabled this but it makes no difference. I tried retrieving my emails using my laptop and I disabled NAV before I went on line, but I got the same message.

powerless 22:21 03 Jul 03

oops not reading things correctly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…