Failure to restart /reboot..!

HardChikn 19:12 12 Oct 03

Hi folks, for those of you who know me, i've been hibernating for a spell hence the absence.
I'm back ....with a query.
I've been presented with a windows based machine that will not restart during software installation or with use of the restart icon in the shut down menu (regardless of OS). I wont bore you at this time with the background details except to say that the original mobo & pentiun CPU were replaced (a few months ago) with a new mobo and an AMD Ahlon CPU...NOT BY ME, Ihasten to add..! Any clues as to likley culprits?.

woodchip 19:18 12 Oct 03

More info on what you do, what happens, what OS at the moment.

HardChikn 20:05 12 Oct 03

The machine will boot up ok on any installed WINDOWS OS (98, 2000, ME, XP). Manual restart, Sleep Functions, Shutdown all function ok. Whenever it gets to part of any software installation that requires a reboot, it does not go past the shut-down phase of the reboot cycle. The same happens using the restart icon on the start/shutdown menu.
I do not think the problem is OS related because the symptom is there irrespective of OS type.

HardChikn 20:34 12 Oct 03

Talk to me someone please...!

woodchip 21:04 12 Oct 03

Have a look hear it may help click here

HardChikn 15:41 13 Oct 03

Any more clues??????

woodchip 17:36 13 Oct 03

I do have a small program that will force it to reboot you can put it on the task bar. If you want it just E-Mail me by My nickname

HardChikn 21:43 13 Oct 03

Thanks so far woodchip. I'm still no wiser as to the cause of the problem. i'm currently systematically testing every copmponent. i expect i will soon narrow it down to a component or at least an area.

Hi, the restart mode relies on the on off switch to switch on and off. Have you checked that the socket connecting from the mobo to the i/o switch is fully compatible with the original pin layout? Different mobo's sometimes have their i/o functions assigned to different pins

Does this help?

Kin Wong

HardChikn 22:04 13 Oct 03

Thanks Kin, I'll check this out!..Wait..! Out!

woodchip 00:35 14 Oct 03

It's got to be a running program that Windows is having trouble closing to reboot. Go to Start/Run type Msconfig press enter go to startup tab remove all tick's in box's except system tray the try your computer with software loading you can add items back until you get the prob. one at a time and reboot to try it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…