Failure to Recognise W98SE System Disk

zootboy 11:37 12 Mar 04

When running system File Checker this morning, a file was identified as possibly being corrupted and recommended it's restoration from the 'installation disk/s'. (the file in question was LMOUSE16.DLL)

Having put the W98SE cd rom in the cd rom drive (E:\ drive)and clicked OK, it showed the following message: 'The File Was Not Found. Verify That You have Selected The Correct 'Restore From' Location and Try Again' - which I did, several times, with the same result.

I back up my data each day to a CD disk in the same drive without problem.

It has been suggested to me that perhaps the W98 CD needs cleaning, but have read conflicting advise in the past about whether one should or should not apply a proprietory cleaner to CD's, I am uncertain as to how to proceed.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem or have any advise ?

Thanks everyone.

Zootboy

Paranoid Android 11:45 12 Mar 04

This is not a problem with the cd drive, it is simply that windows cannot find the fil in the expected location.

If sfc says the file is 'corrupt', it may simply be that your windows version of this mouse driver has been replaced by the Logitech version. If your mouse works normally, don't worry about it.

Marvin

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…