Failure to log-on to Windows XP Home Edition.

Tammy Troot 21:20 01 Jan 08

I am having great difficulty in logging on to Windows XP. I get to the Welcome screen where I have a choice of two users (self and wife). Sometimes the system hangs on clicking one of the icons - nothing happens. At other times it is possible to get one icon up and the information "Loading Your Personal Settings", but nothing happens. Less frequently, after a long delay it appears as if the desk-top will come up, but it does not. I have only been able to log on to this session by repeatedly turning off the PC and re-starting till I eventually got the desk-top. Can anyone out there help me?

Technotiger 21:22 01 Jan 08

Have you tried a System Restore back to when all was working ok?

Technotiger 21:24 01 Jan 08

PS - you had better put a Green Resolved tick on your other Post, then please stick to this one until resolved or closed by you. Otherwise confusion will reign!!

xania 13:39 03 Jan 08

What sort of difficulties? What, if any changes have you made since there was no problem? Are you able to get in using Safe mode? Have you tried booting using last boot that worked?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:17 03 Jan 08

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5