failure to hibernate

alpalok 03:58 07 Jun 07

Suddenly my computer which used to hibernate earlier has stopped hibernating. There is no hibernate tab on my power options. I wonder what has gone wrong ?

Dr Alok Modi MD

Jackcoms 09:02 07 Jun 07

Try System Restore back to a time when it did hibernate.

Or a Windows repair (assuming XP):

Sometimes the system files (those required to run Windows properly) can become corrupted. Here's how to run a check on your system files:
• Click Start; Run.
• In the Run box, type cmd.exe to open the command prompt window.
• At the prompt, type sfc.exe /scannow
• Press ENTER. If Windows finds problems with the system files, you will be prompted to insert your Windows XP installation CD to restore the files.

If no problems are found and the scan finishes, type exit and press ENTER.

alpalok 03:10 09 Jun 07

But I have SP1 & SP2 aqlready loaded. SFC does not work when I insert the windows CD as both SP are already installed.

Thanks

Dr Alok Modi MD

Jackcoms 07:07 09 Jun 07

"But I have SP1 & SP2 aqlready loaded. SFC does not work when I insert the windows CD as both SP are already installed."

sfc /scannow is nothing to do with the Service Packs you have installed!

It repairs any corruption in the original installation of Windows files.

I have never heard of sfc /scannow not working before. Did you follow my instructions correctly?

You need only insert your Windows CD if prompted to do so - because that means you do have corrupted files and the repair process needs to obtain a fresh copy from the CD.

birdface 08:57 09 Jun 07

Hi,Just check that you still have Hibernation ticked,Go into Control Panel, Power options ,Hibernate,Make sure the Hibernate box is ticked, Apply. Ok

birdface 09:04 09 Jun 07

I should have added that when I use Hibernate,I have to have my mouse curser hovering on standby mode,and have to press the shift button,it then changes to hibernate,But as far as I know you can actually get it to work from your Taskbar.

Stuartli 10:07 09 Jun 07

I use Windows XP in Classic mode and get a drop down menu listing various choices, including Shut Down, Restart, Standby, Hibernate and Log Off Administrator.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…