Failure configuring windows updates reverting changes

terrym 23:06 15 Oct 14

Dell laptop running Win 8 wont complete the updates after download complete. Need it urgently for college Wi-Fi Bradford Scan (also known as Dissolvable Agent)process before it will allow my laptop connect with college system. With the scan the error message is 'Failed Test: gives reason as Operating System - Windows 8x64 Critical & Security Updates. The error message shows no Error Codes other than that. Is the hard drive at fault /corrupt. It all worked fine last year in college but giving me hell this time. Any solutions or route to try appreciated. The AV is MS Windows Defender which is accepted by the college as compatible in the requirements list. Could the AV prevent it installing and maybe switched off to do the updates?

onthelimit1 08:45 16 Oct 14

This problem has given me a lot of grief over the last year. See this thread of mine to see if anything there helps.

terrym 13:11 27 Oct 14

My problem is now resolved with Dell laptop running Win not installing the updates after download complete. I moved the OS from Win 8 to 8.1 which was a success and it installed all the current updates. I had hidden some of the updates I forget what sequence I did it in but it all worked out fine in the end. I was then able to run the college IT Depts Bradford Scan (also known as Dissolvable Agent) process and it passed the test, so now I can connect with college WiFi which is great. One other thing I did was a Soft Boot Diagnostic test repeated clicking F12 key when switching laptop on. It confirmed that all tests were successful and that no issues were found. Thanks to all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5