Failure CD rom

pierc113 18:09 18 Feb 04

XPpro on start up i get "Boot from ATAPI CD rom failure" I have a CD rom and a DVD/CDRW combo i have checked the jumpers the DVD is the master and CD slave, It then gives me three or four options safe mode normal start etc

What excactly are trying to do?

pierc113 18:21 18 Feb 04

Nothing thats what i get when i press start button

pierc113 13:59 21 Feb 04

BUMP
Anybody know why it always go's to that screen on start up

Stuartli 14:21 21 Feb 04

This was one possible solution offered in one forum (found from click here):

Look through all your BIOS settings for an option to "wake-on-LAN" or "boot from LAN" or "Boot from Network"... something along those lines. Disable it, save your BIOS changes and reboot. The error you are getting is caused by the PC looking for a boot device (HD, or floppy, or CD) and not finding it, then attempting to boot from a network. Also, confirm your hard drive is recognized correctly in BIOS.

PS Edit: If drive(s) is not recognized properly, double check that you have the correct cables, and that the correct ends are plugged in (ATA-66/100 cables... the blue connector has to be plugged into the mobo controller socket. On floppy cable, then end closer to the twisted section gets plugged into the floppy drive, and the red wire is oriented to PIN 1... usually PIN 1 is oriented toward the middle of the floppy drive case, not toward the outside edge).

pierc113 14:38 21 Feb 04

how do i get into my bios ? thanks

pierc113 17:00 21 Feb 04

(to get in the BIOS i had to press Del at start up)
I could not find anything to do with Lan or network the pc was used as part of a network. Here is some of the things in there:-
first boot device CDROM
second....Floppy
third....HDD-0
Boot other devices...Enabled
APIC MODE...Enabled
A couple of CPU ones enabled
quick power on self test...enabled

Stuartli 17:46 21 Feb 04

Try the bootup as A,D - rather than D,A - i.e. bootup from a floppy.

pierc113 18:32 21 Feb 04

floppy first CDrom second still get ATAPI failure and took to the screen safe mode, normal start etc,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…