Failure to boot from Hard Drive

Monco 17:28 08 Dec 03

My PC running XP home recently fails to Boot from the hard drive, and asks for the installation CD. On rebooting from the reset button it starts OK. Is this maybe a hardware problem, or due to the cold weather? Sounds strange, I know, but I read this theory somewhere.
Thanks folks

Diodorus Siculus 17:31 08 Dec 03

Check for a setting like "fast boot" in the BIOS - it may be that the disk is not ready with the relevant info when it is queried by the BIOS. If Fast boot is selected, unselect it and see how it goes.

Diodorus Siculus 23:25 27 Dec 03

Did you give this a go?

Monco 14:34 30 Dec 03

Thanks to Diodorus Siculus who provided a pointer to something I tried, but for the opposite reasons. I found something in the BIOS called' boot easy', which cuts out the usual interrogation of the hard drive; IDE channels, etc. Presumably this gives the HD more time to start up, and cuts about 5 secs off boot time. Whether I am masking a prob. with the HD i don't know, but it works fine. Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…