Failing to reinstall Windows 7

Tycho 13:55 02 Jan 14

The title says what I am trying to do. I have been through what seems to be the right process but the laptop is having none of it.

The laptop in question is a Toshiba Satellite L300D - 11V System unit, Model No. PSL.C0E-00900DEN. I have no reinstallation disc. The lady vicar whose machine it is has lost it.

The reason that I want to reinstall is that the blooming thing locks up with nearly every piece of software that I try to run on it.

Here is what I have done so far:

1. Backed up all the users files on to a removable hard drive
  2. On my own W7 machine I have downloaded an iso file (3.1GB) of the installation disc and saved it out on to a DVD using the disc burner function.
  3. The file name of the .iso image is X17-24209 and is said to be a 64bit version with SP1 included.
  4. The resulting DVD appears to be in good order and has named itself GRMCHPXFRERENDVD. It has the files autorun, bootmgr, bootmgr.efi, setup at the top level and folders boot, efi, sources, support, upgrade also at the top level.
  5. I have switched on the faulty computer and pressed f12 to make sure that it will boot from CD/DVD.
  6. Powering up without the DVD inserted gives "Windows Error Recovery" with an explanation and "Launch Startup Repair (Recommened)" and "Start Windows Normally" options
  7. "Launch Startup repair" results in an attempt to launch system restore with hours of "Attempting repairs" and an eventual automatic shutdown with nothing achieved.
  8. Powering up with the DVD inserted gives exactly the same as no 6.

It seems that the laptop is ignoring the DVD even though it should be booting from it.

I don't know where to go from here.

An thoughts, please?

Nick

Tycho 14:25 02 Jan 14

I might well have sorted this problem for myself.

The last time that I started the offending laptop it gave "Select Boot Type". I selected 1 (I had been here before but I had not been quick enough to respond the the "Press any key to Boot from DVD") This time I was Quick enough. It has booted to Windows from the DVD and I appear to be on my way to reformatting etc.

Nick

lotvic 17:06 02 Jan 14

Drivers and manuals toshiba.co.uk

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…