Failing Memory

laurie53 08:52 17 Mar 07

I've had a couple of on screen warnings about memory failing recently.

I know that there is software that can check memory out. Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Laurie

moorie- 08:53 17 Mar 07

try this
click here

skidzy 08:54 17 Mar 07

Memtest click here

skidzy 08:55 17 Mar 07

Hot on those fingers this morning moorie- :-)))

moorie- 09:03 17 Mar 07

morning skidzy too much caffeine i think

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:30 17 Mar 07

Memory failure comes to all of us as we start to "get on a little" in years.

This one runs from within windows click here

laurie53 12:11 17 Mar 07

Why are you posting about memory failure?!!

Laurie

laurie53 14:28 17 Mar 07

Thanks everybody.

Tried these. no errors found. Looks like it's back to the old tried and tested "remove and substiute"!

Laurie

laurie53 22:02 22 Mar 07

Moved from Speaker's Corner

Memory Failure – Update

Well, I've changed each memory module in turn, I've also flashed my BIOS (and what a heart stopping moment THAT was!) since that was also mentioned in my error messages.

However, I'm still getting it, perhaps once or twice a week, crash and a long memory dump them all is well for a while.

Obviously I need a good diagnostic programme, but bearing in mind that I'll only use it once (hopefully) and if ever I need to use it again it will be out of date, I don't want to spend the earth.

Any suggestions? All I've tried so far is Sandra, which comes up clean in every test

Laurie

laurie53 23:44 23 Mar 07

No suggestions for a decent diagnostic programme?

Laurie

jarvis10@btinternet.com 06:36 24 Mar 07

i have just had ram problems and all the programs reported healthy memory, yet when i started my pc up every noew and then it would turn off restart and all i would get was continuous beeps, i have 4 modules and i found the faulty one by placing each ram module in the first slot, on its own and running sandra, with the faulyt module it used to lock up, and with the other 3 it was fine, very time consuming and im sure there are better ways, but thats how i solved my problem
sandra is a available from sisoftware.com, i havnt used it since as im told it possibly caused my problem in the first place, as the burn in test is quite aggressive.
or you could just try the ram sticks seperatley
i used memtest pc pitstop and every program i could find, they all reported no problems.
good luck
adam

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced