Failing Links in Internet Explorer

blanco 19:49 13 Apr 04

In the last couple of weeks I have come across some links on sites that have previously worked satisfactorily but now just produce a rather rude sound and refuse to open the new page.
It does not apply to all links on the site.
For example, on the Shockwave site various links work but when I click the button to load the daily jigsaw, it refuses.
On another local site, I can access all the pages, but get the same response when I click to look at the full events calendar.
Anyone got any ideas?

powerless 19:56 13 Apr 04

http : //

Copy and paste it into the address bar, remove the spaces, and click GO.

blanco 10:36 14 Apr 04

Thanks Powerless for the prompt response. I should have remembered the Knowledge Base but I was confused that the fault wasn't general but affected only very few shortcuts.
Anyway, I printed off the article last night and this morning have tried the first fix which has had no effect whatsoever.
I'm now busy for the rest of the day and so will go down the alternative steps this evening and see how that goes and then report back again.

blanco 19:08 15 Apr 04

In case you check on your postings Powerless, I'm afraid I've had no luck on the fixes suggested so I am now down to reinstalling IE6. I'm leaving it for a bit because I have only encountered three short cuts that do not operate and I am still a bit bemused as to why these in particular when all others on the same site work without any problem. And the fact that the sound gets involved. There is a quick flash but it doesn't hold.
Then I think I'll download from the Microsoft site which will have it at least up to SP1 whereas my XP disc is a Day 1 job.
I'll mark as solved because I doubt I shall get any further.

powerless 19:49 16 Apr 04

johnnyrocker 19:52 16 Apr 04

sounds like a pop up stopper to me, try holding ctrl when going on one of the links.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…