Failing Hard Drives

Goolie 05:38 26 Jun 03

Over the past Year I have had problems with hard drives in 3 seperate pc systems. First an 80gb Western Digital started clicking every 30 secs or so, until eventually failing altogether.

This was replaced under warranty, but a few months later the same thing happened again, even though the drive was fitted in a different pc.
I now have a Maxtor 80gb Drive in a third pc that has just started clicking in the same way.

Does anyone know what could be causing these failures?

y_not 06:05 26 Jun 03

The only person I've ever known to have got through HDD's at that rate had a problem with his right finger.........he insisted on turning the PC off at the power switch (couldn't get him to understand that when he finished he had to press "Start").

Result was he crashed the HDD heads.

After the second HDD was fitted he calmed down and closed windows first.....sometimes.

After the third HDD was fitted his wife got fed up of paying out and made sure that he shut down correctly!

Bodi 08:29 26 Jun 03

My five year old grandson has trashed his hard drive the self same way. lol

Exactly the same problem, hard drive works, but every so often starts to click rhythmically and struggles to work. He's been told, no new hard drive until he switches off his computer properly.

Bodi

Bodi 08:31 26 Jun 03

Should not restart the computer after switching off for at LEAST 20secs before switching back on again.

Bodi

Goolie 09:14 26 Jun 03

All pc's with this fault have always been shutdown correctly within windows...........not the Power button.

Anymore Ideas?

DieSse 09:28 26 Jun 03

Bad luck I would say - overheating may cause a problem, but in different systems, it's unlikely.

You cannot "crash the heads" on a modern hard drive by switching off incorrectly - it won't happen. All HDDS power down in the same way, irrespective of how the power is turned off - they all have self-parking heads, which park as soon as the DC input voltage goes, by whatever means. You could trash data - but not affect the drive hardware in any way shape or form.

For other reasons you should switch off correctly, if you value your data.

Bodi 11:29 26 Jun 03

Oh well, I'm going to have apologise to my grandson! His Conner drive is a pain.

Goolie please accept my apologies too - er not that I was suggesting you didn't switch on/off your computer correctly. If one of your drives had been a Fijitsu, I could have understood it - I have had two of these drives burn out on me, despite a decent cooling system and plenty of space left around them.

Bodi

plankton 12:30 26 Jun 03

Do you have problems with other electrical gear? It almost sounds like your supply is not too clever. If you havn't already done so you could try anti-surge plugs/sockets, bad spplies with spikes etc are a real menace to computer insides.
Three disks is a bit more than unlucky!
Better future luck..

Goolie 17:40 28 Jun 03

All electrics ok. Filters & Surge Protection fitted.

John-259217 18:15 28 Jun 03

Do you have anything which could cause a constant vibration near by?

Everything from a main road or railway down to the motor on a fridge can transmit vibration through the structure of a building - with possibly undesirable effects on sensitive equipment.

Its a long-shot I admit but hey, resonance has brought down bridges :-)

plankton 16:28 28 Jul 03

Other things that cause disk problems (that I've discovered) include dust, magnets, vandals, lunch, coffee, drugs, accidental droppages, pets and an albatross (no I made that one up). If you've eliminated all possible outside faults, and all the PSU's are OK and the temperatures are OK, and the mobo's aren't being tricky, then you must be unlucky! Hope all your new new drives are better.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…